Thread: Salmonella

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salmonella

Sorry for the long link. One more thing to think about re: dog care altho' the dogs aren't getting ill-just the people . unfortunately they have found the dogs are shedding the salmonella in their stools.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051502363.html
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

How strange...I never would have guessed that salmonella could be found in dry dog food
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Long links don't matter -- the board automatically abbreviates them.

Thanks for the link -- literally 'food' for thought. I know that raw diets are known to cause dogs to shed salmonella but the fact that dry can also do so is a new discovery. Underlines the importance of always scooping poop, lifting it right away from the garden as well, especially if children or elderly or ill people could come in contact. Remember that dogs often pick up small bits of feces on fur, feet etc and bring that in the house in tiny amounts, enough for a child or anyone really to ingest it without knowing and become ill.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have never imagine dogs could suffer from salmonella ! so we must be careful every day of our life ! Life is going to be difficult !