• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sadly

Eeva

Sadie had to be returned to the fosterer. She was considered too much of a risk in our home after the biting incident as it wasn't just a little bite but a proper attack that left my husband with a big wound in his arm and several smaller bites. He had it dressed at our surgery and got a tetanus shot but it got inflamed and very painful, so he's now on antibiotics.
I feel as if I had lost a child, I got so attached to that little girl with her sad little face. I know it wasn't possible to keep her, I've got think of my family first, but I was absolutely heartbroken, still am. :( My only consolation is that the fosterer himself is going to keep her, I know she'll have a lovely home with him and she'll be very happy there. She recognised his house immediately and jumped on the sofa and settled there (the fosterer told me).
Maija and Hermie seem happy that she's gone, they're back to their lively and mischievous selves again, they were quite quiet when Sadie was here (because she growled at them).
Sadie will always have a place in my heart.

You did the right thing, even if it was very difficult. Your family HAS to come first and if Sadie had attacked you puppers instead of a grown man-- whoa... it is a risk I wouldn't be able to take. I bet it was hard, so here is a
{{{{{HUG}}}}}

So sorry to hear about the tough decision you had to make. I agree with you and others -- your family has to come first. I'm glad she has a good home.

Oh no, it was a sad story, but it seems like the best solution for everybody. I am glad that you found a solution where she could be happy again, and that Maija and Hermione are cheering up now.

I'm sorry you had such a rough time...and sure hope your husband is feeling okay. Sounds like you gave it your best shot and it just didn't work out. Good that her fosterer was able to take her back and that sounds like that's where she needs to be. So sorry of all this happened to you.

So sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision, but you have to do what is best for your family. Sadie seems content where she is, so as others have said, it is the best situation all round. I sincerely hope that your heartbreak eases with time and remember that you really did give it your best shot.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out with Sadie, but you made the right decision for her and your family. At least she has a good forever home. I hope your husband it okay :flwr:

i am so sorry Sadie didn't work out, but it is good that she has a safe place to go. :flwr:

For a biting dog like this, it would be very important for her to be fully assessed for possible medical reasons and temperament tested to determine her degree of reactivity (this is IMHO the truly responsible approach to take with such a dog, by anyone doing rescue -- both the dog's condition and the possible risk posed by her need to be seriously considered). Whoever is fostering needs professional advice from a good trainer as a reactive dog should not really ever have been rehomed -- ideally, rescue dogs all need to be professionally temperament tested or at least all those with any possible question about them and definitely, once they have seriously bitten (a child in particular should never, ever be put at risk by an encounter with this dog and that takes a serious level of responsibility and a full assessment of why the dog is reacting like this). There are many reasons a dog may bite and sometimes tough decisions need to be made -- but most times, careful training can address the issue, and sometimes again, there's an underlying medical and pain condition that is causing a high degree of reactivity. It would be so very important for Sadie's well being and the safety of people who may be in contact with her, for all these options to be carefully and fully explored. :flwr:

((( Eeva ))), you know how I feel about this.

I think you and your family had hearts of gold in considering and adopting an ex breeding bitch, and it's not your fault that things didn't turn out as hoped. You did the right thing for your family, although it hurts like crazy.

As Karlin says, maybe there's a medical problem for Sadie's behaviour. I tend to think that she fell in love with you personally so very much and bonded so strongly that she became over-protective. Poor Sadie wouldn't have any idea of manners and DoG knows what sort of hell-hole she came from :(.

I don't think many of these puppy farm dogs fully recuperate. Sometimes with Bradley, even now, it feels like one step forwards and 2 back - and that's 2 years on. He's currently on 'time out' in the kitchen for arguing with Cazy.

I'm pleased you know where Sadie is living and that at least is some comfort.

x

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts. It's been a heavy week and your responses are a great consolation to me. :flwr:

Eeva, I'm so sorry to hear that this didn't work out for you. I agree with everyone that you did the right thing giving her back. It sounds like she will have a god home where she feels comfortable. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you. I hope your husband is feeling better.

Back