• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My new cav Harry has

presley

humping problem, he's nearly 5month.
he's getting very cheeky and get on with Presley(a lab)really really well
they'd play like mad,running up n down ..etc..
normally Presley'll lay down n let Harry to play,
Harry'll play a bit then he'll hump Presley's face!!!!:eek:
I say "leave it" "no!" very calmly but he would not stop then I'd say again
he eventually gets off from Presley but he'll be still in humping position and be still humping even nothing is there.
Does that mean he wants to be the no.1?
I don't know what to do...
Should I take him to the vet for this?
please help
thanks!

There's a whole post with links on mounting behaviour in the Library. If you do a general board search, you'll also bring up lots of threads on this topic which will give some detailed responses -- it is always a good idea to start with a search as you'll find some good answers that people may not want to type again -- and hence, you'll get more info from using search than posting a question sometimes. :)

Please forget about 'dominance' and 'being number 1' -- these are old terms that lead to more inappropriate training for the wrong reasons (and resulting serious behaviour problems) than probably anything else.

I'd really recommend buying one of Dr Ian Dunbar's books on raising a puppy -- you can order one easily from Amazon.co.uk. It will answer all sorts of questions like this, is an invaluable resource :), and will dispel some outdated notions about dog behaviour and how to train. (y)

This is very normal puppy behaviour. Neutering will probably stop it permanently in another month or two but you can also work to distract your puppy to doing something else. Saying 'no and 'leave it' won;t really help -- plus these are usually two different commands for two entirely different things and could confuse him if you are actually trying to train a command for 'leave it' (as in 'ignore it', which isn't the same at all as 'stop that behaviour'). A puppy or a dog doesn't really get it if just told 'no' -- 'no what?' -- and what is he supposed to do instead? that's why the best approach to unwanted behaviour is to drop 'no' from the vocabulary and instead give the dog a positive, desired behaviour that you prefer -- eg give him a toy to play with, call him over and ask for sit, or whatever. :)

Back