• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

shedding puppy coat

rocky

vegas is nearly 8 months and as i have said previously his coat is getting very thin noticed today again even thinner on his body is this around the age they shed and how quick does it take to come back in?

My Ollie is almost 9 months, and although I haven't noticed him "shedding" his puppy coat, I can tell a disctinct difference in texture between the hair along his back (which is obviously his adult coat, it is more coarse and long) and the hair on the rest of him (which is baby soft, shiny, and fine). I think eventually it will all feel like his back hair.

Are you saying Rocky's is actually falling out? I have not noticed that, but I have noticed a ton more dog hair on the floor! :eek: It's like I should sweep every day now instead of a few times a week. (Ummm...operative word here is *should*. I don't.)

I'm looking forward to seeing what Ollie will look like all filled out. He's still in a lanky awkward phase I hope he will grow out of. :xfngr:

well the hair on his legs are a lot less than they used to be he's not bald but you would think that he has had a number 2 shave on his legs, can you pull his coat gently and the hair comes out? because vegas's does i have heard that they dont shed their puppy coat until they are about 18 months so it cant be that, there is hair everywhere he just needs to rub against something and its covered maybe this is normal as it's my first dog i'm not sure

Joly shed his coat when he was still a little puppy needing to be carried after a short walk, so he was probably around 4 months.

I remember his shedding , in particular, as carrying him meant I was covered in white hairs, with grooming actuallyremoving very little. A well known breeder suggested combing him with an elastic band threaded betweeen the teeth of a metal comb and that was very effective.

I believe males get the male pattern centre mane as their first bit of adult coat.

i will try the elastic band through the comb as i have been coming him everyday but doesn't seem to make any difference the other day i had him outside and he was lying beside me so i thought i would comb him well the hair just kept coming out i had to eventually stop

The best way to thread the elastic band is to weave halfof it in and out every 3 or 4 teeth and then let the other piece lie straight. Hairs are gathered between the two pieces of band.

Vegas sounds like he is right on track for blowing his puppy coat. Dottie started shedding like crazy at about 7 months. I have never seen so much hair EVERYWHERE. I would brush and comb her several times a day and wads would come off of her, but the shedding didn't stop. It finally slowed down about 6 weeks later. Her coat is much thinner and at odd lengths and I think her big girl coat is trying to come in. The shedding is now minimal to moderate and much easier to manage. From what I have read, these dogs go through a major shed about every six months or so. Should probably save it up and knit a sweater or two.:D

Funny thing is, my husband keeps reminding me that when I was researching what kind of dog would fit best with us at this time of life, my number one priority was to have a dog with little or no shedding.icon_whistling :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl:

that sounds familiar we were the same when we were looking for a dog we decided we did'nt want one that cast a lot ha ha,:) now we eat hair with every meal

that sounds familiar we were the same when we were looking for a dog we decided we did'nt want one that cast a lot ha ha,:) now we eat hair with every meal

Thats funny. :jump: Ruby hasnt started yet and she is 6 months. Bit young yet i suppose. She doesnt shed much at all...

Holly started shedding at about 6 months old. We use a furminator on her. Fantastic inventions. It definitely reduced the amount if hair around the house.(y)

Holly started shedding at about 6 months old. We use a furminator on her. Fantastic inventions. It definitely reduced the amount if hair around the house.(y)

ok now im really stupid....what is a furminator??????:confused:

I agree about the furminator. I use it weekly and brush Hali daily and no fur balls anywhere & little if no hair on us when we hold her.:blabla:

ok now im really stupid....what is a furminator??????:confused:

Check out: www.furminator.com

It's a de-shedding tool; I use it on my cats and it's amazing! This is a quote from the website: "the FURminator deShedding Tool does not cut or damage the coat, but rather pushes through the topcoat to remove the dead undercoat and loose hair".

Back