• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cocking the leg

Dublin

Just wondering roughly how old they start cocking their legs at?:confused:

Sparks is 18 weeks now & getting quite big now, he likes to sniff at trees & posts etc... but never scents or cocks his leg - also dosn't cock his leg when having a wee yet.

Miles started lifting his leg at 7-8 months old...Truman is almost 6 months old and still pees like a girl ;)

Ollie was neutered around 6 months old, and now at 9 mos still does not lift his leg. Will he start, or since he was neutered before the hormones kicked in, will he always pee like a girl? (I hope he doesn't start!)

I have a pup that will piddle so much (he was neutered at 6 months) he will wet both back feet. His owners wanted to know how to teach the boy to lift his leg outside, so they'd stay dry. So I guess to lift or not to lift-- neither way is perfect.

I have a pup that will piddle so much (he was neutered at 6 months) he will wet both back feet. His owners wanted to know how to teach the boy to lift his leg outside, so they'd stay dry.

My parents watched Miles when my fiance and I went on vacation last year, and when we dropped him off at their house he peed like a girl...when we picked him up a week later he lifted his leg! My dad claims he taught Miles how to lift his leg! :rotfl: Who knows if that's true or if it's just a funny coincidence! icon_nwunsure

I forgot to mark the calendar when Charlie first lifted his leg :),
but he was neutered at an early age, and has no problem peeing like the big boys. (y)

vegas bends down like a girl in our garden but whenever we go out for a walk he cocks up his leg i find this very weird but amusing

I encourage squatting (extra praise when he squats and "uh-uh" when he approaches my garden swing to lift his leg!), it's less mess in our case. When we go out, it's more marking than weeing so he will always lift his leg then.

The dog I had before cavvies never ever cocked his leg. Now I have a cavvie girl with three brothers - she often tries to cock hers:D always falls over!

Plenty time yet for your little lad

My little guy will be 6 months old next week, and he still squats. I like it that way. Our neighbors male dog is always lifting his leg all over their fence when Jato is in our yard- I know their dog is marking his territory (yard), but it is gross to me. :yuk:

Pesto is coming up on 2 years old and still has NEVER lifted his leg, which I guess means he'll never start. He was neutered at 6 months old.

I definitely prefer this way. He doesn't mark trees or other things outside, and he's never tried to mark inside other homes he visits even when there are other male dogs vying for dominance.

On another funny note, we have a new baby sister for Pesto, "Basil" a female boston terrier. She is so front heavy with her big round head that she does little hand stands when she squats to pee, lol.

Back