Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some advise please - stiff back leg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope you can identify what's wrong with Millie soon and work to get her beter. I have no sgae advice just wanted to send a :hug to you both. How is she today?
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

How is she today?
    She's fine today - thanks for asking. She seems to be fine once she comes out of the funny turn - just a little sleepy for a while after.
    She has a nice bald patch on her leg from her blood test yesterday which I dont think shes too happy about - but I keep telling her it will grow back soon
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you went to Beaufield vet in Celbridge, then I am not surprised ... they are very good on cavaliers as well (Finbarr is another one of the vets I use for cavalier rescue ).

I was talking to Fintan yesterday, who based on description of symptoms, felt this was very possibly EFS. It cannot be diagnosed by blood tests. There's some meds that can help control the seizures for some dogs. It isn't a very well understood condition -- you might eventually want to be referred to neurology at UCD but your vet will try to eliminate other possibilities first. Most of what is known is there on the EFS site and there's info as well on www.cavalierhealth.org including links to current research. It is very variable -- some dogs have a few of these seizures and never have them again, some have them at a very low level and rarely thru their lives, some have regular seizures, and for some it is very serious. Sometimes the seizures decline or disappear over time, sometimes they worsen.

There are not many possibilities to try -- it can be similar to epilepsy or syringomyelia, both of which can be diagnosed, but it isn't likely to be SM if this is the only sign you are seeing. Dogs that are at the point of having pain sessions severe enough to appear like seizures are usually showing a lot of other symptoms too -- perhaps scratching, air scratching, or yelping when touched in certain places, for example. Epilepsy seizures are different from EFS. That's likely why your vet wants you to try and get a session on video because as Fintan was noting the symptoms and seizures are very distinctive and unikely to be anything else but EFS.

I don't think there are DNA tests per se -- this is still pretty much a research area at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

If you went to Beaufield vet in Celbridge, then I am not surprised
    Yes, it was Beaufield -Paddy is the VS who looked at her (dont think I ever saw Finbarr). He seemed to know all about EFS and said that it would be a possiblilty based on the sysptoms I described, but in saying that he wanted to keep an open mind and rule out any other possible problems also.
    I am even more convinced having watched the video evidence on the EFS webpage - some of the recordings are just exactly the same.
    Thankfully she never looked or sounded like she was in pain - no yelping or crying - just totally dazed and legs going from under her or totally rigid.
    Thanks for all your help and fingers crossed I can get the next one on camera so that I can give the vets a better idea of whats happening with her.
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx