• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Matts behind the ears

Ashley

We will be taking on a rescue soon and I have been made aware that he has quite big matts behind his ears. He's not a big fan of being groomed, and I was wondering what everyone would suggest. Ive not really had to deal with this with Holly as she doesnt mind being groomed so hasnt had any matts.
I was told I could leave them as they will eventually shed.... is that right? I didnt think it was correct and I dont fancy leaving them there either as I feel it just screams out.. "Helloooo fleas... come nest in here..."

Any ideas anyone?:confused:

I would imagine that the matts could only get worse, if left, but I'm not sure what to suggest. if they are really bad, perhaps your vet would suggest light sedation.

Our eldest detested being groomed from day one and with long hair this quickly became a nightmare!
I wouldn't suggest leaving them but I would try really short grooming sessions with a treat at the end (even if you manage to sit and stay to be groomed for a couple of minutes) and gradually increase the time, it can take a long time but it is worth it in the end. If they are really bad then it may be that you have to speak to the vets about sedation but I would try the softly softly approach first.
This is the advice I was given and it worked really well for us:)

If they are as bad as they sound, I would cut them out and not try to brush him, especially since he will be adjusting to a new home anyway and I wouldn't want to freak him out. The hair will grow back. Just my opinion!

I wouldnt mind cutting them out... how he looks isnt really an issue... its more just about fleas etc that would like the matts to be their new home! :eek: He's been through a lot this little guy so I had planned on grooming sessions being short and gentle anyway... I just wasnt sure what to do with the matts. I'll assess the situation more once he is home with us! :rolleyes:
Thanks guys x

You can cut them lengthways with a small rounded scissors and then try to tease them out using a small slicker brush OR you can simply just cut them out. I'm sure the dog will be delighted to be rid of them.

I got Gus aged 4 months from the breeder but he had been living in kennels so although he was clean and tidy he had some matts behind his ears..He was my first cav and I took him to the vet to get the lumps investigated! (silly me) the vet shaved them off.

Pippin has quite silky flyaway hair and although he is brushed daily he still sometimes gets little matts behind his ears and in his arm pits.I usually cut them out to save him the stress of brushing and combing them especially if they are near the skin.

Sorry just realised I meant to say they would be best to be cut out (you would probably be there months grooming them out;)) then grooming sessions to start bit by bit:)

Mind you we couldn't get the scissors near Ashton to begin with and it would have been very dangerous attempting to cut them out;)

Thanks everyone. I'll see how he is once he's been here for a while before I attempt to cut them out... but thats what I'll need to do.

You can probably sneak up on those matts & just work on them little by little. Keep some brushes & scissors by the lounge so when you are cuddling you can sneak a little grooming in. Yes, if you snip those matts through vertically, you can gently teaste them out & they are less likely to reappear that if you chop them off horizontally.

Sonny never got matts in his ears until the vet cut the hair there when he was looking for a suspected tick. It took about 6 months before those matts stopped forming.

I use a slicker brush & just start brushing from the bottom of the matt, & then as it starts to loosen up, work upwards.

i have a sensitive ( read : mama's boy) cocker who does not tolerate pain (brushing over that mats) well. He will at most let me brush him for 5 min...that is if i hold him really tight.

we've had the groomer shaved the back of the ear off when it gets too mat. once I shaved the area i make sure the area is brushed regularly so it doesn't become mat again as the short hair tangles with the long one. I found its easier and less dangerous for him to be shaved instead of scissored. He can be jumpy sometimes and scissored are just too pointy/sharp for him at times. (he has so much hair.....i dont think people can tell when the underside of his ears is shaved.)

oh! i think it actually helps him with ear infection as well.

2513666792_05a41b6f40.jpg

Back