Thread: Adult vs Puppy Food

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adult vs Puppy Food

I've been reading alot on here some people choosing to feed their pups adult food instead of puppy food. I was wondering why? Do the puppies grow too rapidly when on the puppy food? Is it too much protein?

Post Thanks / Like

Some puppy food , especially big named tinned varieties are very rich and give some puppies tummy upsets. Vets, mine included, reckon that adult brands like Butchers tripe mix are better because they are less rich and have the bonus of no additives.

Mine were reared on Butchers tripe original and with chicken varieties and small bite mixer and never a tummy upset.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

I was told that decades ago-- it was important to feed puppy food to pups, because the bagged food was just too low in the necessary ingredients needed for pups to grow up healthy. Many of todays foods are better balanced and you can choose from a lower protein to higher protein food (whatever works best for your dog).

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I believe all the hype. I feed our boys adult food although they both had puppy food as babies
    Proud to be owned by Ashton and Rio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many breeders won't feed puppy food to puppies. The key reason I have been told is because it is as Sandy says, overloaded with nutrients and many breeders feel it causes accelerated growth, especially bone growth, and perhaps lead to the dog being oversized and also to bones and joints developing too quickly. For this well known health focused breeder (Lucy's breeder!), feeding puppies puppy food actually voids her health warranty:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

I don't know whether it matters all that much or not -- but consider that in nature canids eat whatever the adults eat -- they don't get a special diet -- so why would puppies need a special diet? I think it is more marketing hype myself.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

My best friend the Vet (it's nice to keep her around, eh? lol) told me that if you get a nice high end dog food like Royal Canin, it's unnecessary to feed the puppy variety.

Penny had the puppy food to the adult food (I actually switched her around 7 months), but I am going to start Chesney straight to the adult food... so I don't have to worry about food mixups!
    Kat &
    Penny Lane ~ Blenheim
    Sir Chesney ~ Ruby
    Tally Berry ~ Black & Tan