Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seizures???

Post Thanks / Like

Question seizures???

My cav is 7 years old. When he was 3 he would have episodes once a year for a few seconds and he would come right back around. Lately his episodes have been more frequent. I took him to our vet who charged me close to $900. for tests. The last test was a sonogram. She said he had an enlarged heart with erratic heart beat. But, the sonogram was good for a cav with heart disease. She gave me some heart meds and told us we would prolong his life, and it will get the episodes under control. This was last week. Last night my cav had the worst seizure I've ever seen him have! It was horrible. I call them episodes, or seizures, but the vet called it fainting. What happens is he will be walking and fall over because he can't use his back legs. With the more dramatic episodes his front and back legs are stiff in front of him and he has a seizure, but it doesn't always escalate to this. Can someone help me? I am sitting here crying as I type this post.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sorry about all this. It must be horrible. Our Madison has had two seizures in her first few years. Both of them involved her starting to bob her head and then she kilted over. Did he have a head bob? Did your vet discuss anti-seizure meds with you? If so, was there any reason he couldn't take anti-seizure meds?

Maybe you could keep a video camera handy (I know this would be hard) to try to catch it for the docs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default seizures

Hi Bridam,
    Thank you for your quick reply!
    The vet said she will put him on seizure meds, and to stay on the heart meds. This will mean 4 new pills a day. I'm hesitant because it seems like the vet doesn't know what's wrong with him. I don't want to continue with the heart meds because he NEVER had as bad a seizure as last night. He usually falls over and tries to walk with only his front legs. He realizes it's not going to work, so he will lay still for a minute, and then comes right out of it. He doesn't tilt his head or anything. I feel like a bad mom because I didn't give him the heart meds today. But, why should I take the chance of another episode like that?
    Last edited by mokipono; 24th May 2008 at 05:44 AM. Reason: forgot to answer a question

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mokipono View Post
    Hi Bridam,
    Thank you for your quick reply!
    The vet said she will put him on seizure meds, and to stay on the heart meds. This will mean 4 new pills a day. I'm hesitant because it seems like the vet doesn't know what's wrong with him. I don't want to continue with the heart meds because he NEVER had as bad a seizure as last night. He usually falls over and tries to walk with only his front legs. He realizes it's not going to work, so he will lay still for a minute, and then comes right out of it. I feel like a bad mom because I didn't give him the heart meds today. But, why should I take the chance of another episode like that?
    This sounds so much like episodic falling-- google episodic falling cavalier and see if that fits what is happening to your dog.

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't and you're a good adoptive parent for being so caring! For reference, we were prescribed phenobarbital for seizures after she had decompression surgery from sm.

I personally don't know if it's a seizure or something else. My only experience was with my doberman that had "wobbler's disease," which was a degenerative condition involving the loss of ability to control hind limbs. don't know if cavs can get that.

Post Thanks / Like

You shouldn't and you're a good adoptive parent for being so caring! For reference, we were prescribed phenobarbital for seizures after she had decompression surgery from sm.

I personally don't know if it's a seizure or something else. My only experience was with my doberman that had "wobbler's disease," which was a degenerative condition involving the loss of ability to control hind limbs. don't know if cavs can get that.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Seizures?

Thank you sooo much Birdam, and WoodHaven for your kind replies! I am very grateful for this forum. I watched all the video, and my cav's episodes seem much less severe than what I saw on the videos. One thing I didn't realize is during a seizure there is a loss of consciousness. I hope I understand that right? My cav has absolutetly no loss of consciousness what so ever, he looks scared, but always looks me square in the eye during the whole episode. I pick him up and hold him for a few minutes and then he's fine. Last night was the first time I wasn't able to pick him up because his seizure was so strong. Last night was also the longest amount of time during an episode.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd see a neurologist pronto and try to take a video but--I have no idea what I'm talking about! - good luck