• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What dogs are saying: great guide!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Have a look at this (as well as the second page) -- really helpful for understanding dog body language and what it all might mean. :)

It's also worth reposting the link to the ever-useful "He Just Wants to Say Hi" article. Maybe some of us say this -- and might not realise why it isn't OK. Maybe some of us have been annoyed at others who have dogs, who say this -- here's why you are right to be annoyed. It is a good read.

Fantastic links Karlin!

I have a good mind to print that second one and put it through some peoples' doors! :eek::D

Wow-- that is very interesting! My Tri, Rosalita, is always licking Oliver's lips and face... according to the guide that is a sign of her being submissive to him. I had no idea!

Yes, licking another dog's face (or our face) is not a sign of affection, it's an excited greeting and sign of acknowledgment of the dog/person with a higher status. It is a hangover behaviour from puppyhood, when canids lick their parents' mouths to get them to vomit up food for them (sorry, but that is the source of this 'affectionate' gesture to us! Thankfully we are not required to vomit. :lol: ).

That was really interesting. But, someone please tell Shelby that all the kissing in the world is not going to make me throw up my food for her :D

I really liked the second article.

That is an excellent set of images. Everybody (dog owner or no) should be able to interpret dog body language. I am sure it would result in a much lesser bite rate.

Back