Thread: My Boy Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy My Boy Todd

Hello everyone,i am a new member,my name is Anne and i am the proud owner of Todd an adourable 19 weeks old Blenhiem.My worry is that Todd has Episodic Falling Syndrome(EFS),i have never owned a Cavvy before and i am really worried about him.The "falls"take place when he is exerscising or exited,his spine arches almost cat like then his rear legs stiffen and collapse.This only lasts a few seconds and does not seem to cause him any disscomfort.He then is ready to carry on whatever he was doing at the time.I have taken him to my vet who offers little advice exept to treat him normally.I would be grateful for any help on this very scary Syndrome,from any members who have experiance of it.Is it a sign of something else going on?will he outgrow it?Many thanks in advance,Todd and Anne x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome, Anne.

I'm so sorry you are having this problem.

Have you checked the episodic falling website? Ypu can directly contact the site's founders with questions: http://www.episodicfalling.com/contact.html. There are medications for this -- you really need to find a vet more willing to treat this I think? But talk to one of the EFS people first and I know they will give support and guidance.

It is a stand alone condition, they think -- and sometimes they do outgrow it. I have some basic info and research info here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8883
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry for your worries. He's such a young little guy. Karlin has given you some great reference information.

We've had several posts along this line recently. Might help to go back and read what some others have said as well.

Hope you get him sorted out soon.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah