• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy food too rich?

jules82

Hi guys, just afteer some advice really, I have recently started Darby (11 weeks) on James Wellbeloved Duck and rice kibble puppy food, which she seems to enjoy, however she has started to eat her own poop (sorry, really gross!) She has never done this before until we started her on this brand, she was previously on Beta puppy food but i found it made her go to toilet a lot which is why i deceided to try something different. Would it be the change in food causing this? I mentioned it to a family member and they said its a sign the food is too rich for her, so should i change again? and if so what brands would people recommend.

Thanks in advance and sorry again for the grossness!

Jules & Darby (the poop scoffer)

I'd actually stay away from puppy food - Alot of them are to rich!!! Stool eating, especially when it's something new, is often a sign that the dog isn't digesting all the protien in the food - Hence, when it comes out the other end it smells so good, the dog wants to eat it again :( I'd go with a good balanced diet that's marked as an adult food that still has good protien and fat levels - I'm not in the UK, so I'm not sure what brands are available there, hopefully someone else can make recommendations there.

Back