Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which raw bones can I give?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which raw bones can I give?

What type of bones could I give the dogs? Chicken, beef? And what do I need to do to them before I give it to them? Is it messy? Do I just put the raw bone on the ground and let them go at it? What bones should they NOT eat? (Can you tell I have no clue about the "raw food" diet thing?)
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

First, I would make sure you do your own research so you can decide if you are comfortable feeding raw. Many people are not comfortable with it for a variety of reasons, and other people swear by it. My breeder introduced me to raw feeding/natural rearing when I first got Miles, but I have also done a lot of research and read books on raw feeding so I could make my own decision as far as what I was comfortable with doing. My traditional vet doesn't agree with feeding raw but my homeopath vet does. I made the decision not to feed them "dog food" but to feed them a diet consisting of foods such as yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin, veggies, eggs, tripe, RMBs and some grains, along with supplements such as colostrum, Transfer-Factor, etc.

My boys eat chicken necks, chicken wings, turkey necks, beef necks, beef knuckles, lamb riblets and marrow bones, along with cooked fish. They eat the bones in all of the above except for the beef bones, fish bones and marrow bones (waaaaay too big for them to eat). The meaty bones I feed are frozen before I give them to the boys, and thawed out the night before; I've read that freezing them should kill off the bacteria...I put a small towel on the floor for each dog and they are trained to eat on their towel for sanitary reasons. The towels are used once and then washed. They also both wear snoods to keep their ears clean and out of the raw meat. I ALWAYS carefully supervise them while they eat. As for what kinds of RMBs not to give them, my breeder told me never to feed raw pork. There's a book that I use as a reference, Juliet de Bairclai Levy's book called "The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat" - it was written a while ago but has some interesting information on natural rearing/holistic care. If I remember correctly she was a breeder of Afghans.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like

Never feed raw salmon either!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feed in a very similar way to Carrie. If you want to really get into the nitty gritty of feeding bones & raw foods (aka BARF), I can highly recommend the book "Give Your Dog a Bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst. You can read my review on this book. It has become my feeding bible.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Maverick gets kibble with a spoonful of plain yogert or cottage cheese and then when I find marrow bones small enough for him he gets one of those.
    Mom to Maverick (3-18-07)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Raw salmon is I believe only a problem with Pacific coast salmon which can sometimes carry an organism dangerous to dogs.

Freezing in an ordinary home freezer won't kill many, if any bacteria -- you need a research grade freezer that drops the temperature way below what anything on the home or general commercial market can do. Bacteria are actually very hard to kill and many types happily live in ice -- scientists routinely freeze bacteria samples in order to PRESERVE them. Freezing will however kill most parasites but you need to freeze meat for several weeks for this to happen, not just pop it in for a few days then thaw it. So be aware that with raw, you do at least need to take all the appropriate cautions to keep from exposing yourself to bacteria -- stringent cleanliness.

Ian Billinghurst does not recommend turkey bones -- he actually cautions specifically against turkey necks in his book -- I've seen this debated on some raw forums as to why, as he doesn't really explain the problem as he sees it.

Just for an alternative view: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_n13788104

There's a number of pro and anti barf/raw meaty bones links if you scroll down towards the bottom of this page: http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/dogfoods.html

I do know of dogs, including my own, that have had serious problems with raw bones. So just be sure to weigh up the risk factors on all sides. There's an incredible amount of nonsense on all sides out there about feeding dogs.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I was curious more than anything... Not sure I will ever give them a raw bone, and I certainly would never feed them a BARF diet (not that I have a problem with it AT ALL, but it is just not for me!- I can hardly manage to prepare meals for my family, let alone my dogs too! I am all about KISS (keeping it simple sweetheart!). But I am interested in giving them the occasional bone if it makes sense and is healthy.

Karlin, what problems have you experienced with giving raw bones?
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

I do the Marrow Slices from this company and my dogs LOVE them! Scroll down to the bottom of the page. They are pretty inxpensive and you can order them and keep them in the freezer.

http://aplaceforpaws.com/rawmeatybones.html
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

That's a great site, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice site - but need one like this for UK
    Simon and Shirley
    Guinness (12yr Tri) - Willow (2 1/2yr Ruby) - Bailey (1 3/4yr Blein) -Tarmac (departed B&T was 10yr)