Thread: Grooming Murphy...

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Grooming Murphy...

Ok... Well Im looking for some advice and opinions from as many people as possible...

As you all know, we have Murphy with us now. Due to his past (terrible) experience, he does not like his back legs or bum being touched. This makes it quite tricky when he poos as it is often all stuck to him. I cannot get near his back end without him trying to bite!
    He does need badly groomed... his nails are terribly long, matts on his ears and legs, and his coat isnt in the best condition. It is clear he has not had a bath in a LONG time... if you couldnt see him... you could smell him!
    He really needs a bath, and I would like the hair at his bottom to be cut quite short as well, so that I do not have to attempt to clean it.

Has anyone had to have a dog groomed under sedation? I really dont want to have to resort to this.
    Do you think I should try him in the bath? (He loves water)

Its just a very tricky area to be honest... a lot trickier than I imagined. There is not a need for us to touch his back end... but when he is messy and smelly I think it is a neccessity.

What would be everyones advice or ideas or experience? Any comments are gratefully welcomed!
    Ashley, with Holly and Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

If his health and general comfort will benefit from a pill that will take the edge off-- I'd do it in a heart beat. Just think of all the stress the dog must have if his past experiences has made his behavior come to this. I had a cocker that had to have a tranquilizer in order to be fully groomed. Usually I did the grooming and she was fine, but strangers pulling on her hair would make her snap. In 14+ years of her life- I had to have her groomed only a half dozen times.

Post Thanks / Like

My aunt used to have her cocker cut under sedation as he was very frightened. Sorry not much help Im afraind but I hope you can find a way to groom him.
    Karen and the gang

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a dog groomed under sedation but my groomer has spoken about the vet sedating a couple different dogs for her. To this day I cannot groom Freckles further than his ribcage unless he is on the grooming table with neck and body loops in place. I also attempt to keep one hand always on him and this does soothe him. I don't know what in the h#&ll is done to these dogs but they don't forget the awfulness.
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

What he has been through doesnt upset me anymore... It just makes me so angry!!!!

Anyhoo... before I begin ranting... guess what?!...

MURPHY JUST HAD A BATH!!!!!

I ran a nice bath with dog shampoo already in it, JayDee picked him up and lifted him in. We've never picked him up yet... but it has to be done without touching his rear end... which cant be comfortable.
    So we put him in the bath and JayDee had on gardening gloves... just incase!
    He was fine. Eyes went a bit bulgy showing a bit of fear and anxiety. I didnt touch him too much but sprinkled some shampoo over him, gently rubbed it in and rinsed it off with the showerhead. JayDee stayed at the head area and soothed him and talked to him.
    He only growled a bit when I went to try and clean below his tail.... so I just ran the shower there instead.

He then let JayDee dry him with the towel, and then actually enjoyed being blowdried!!! So that was rather successful. We didnt touch him near his back end during the bath but he was happy for us to touch everywhere else.

I think this is great. I know it wont always be... but for Day 3/4 with him I think thats pretty good.

For nail clipping... I hope they will quickly wear down. Apparently he only got pavement/concrete walks once a week! If I see they arent wearing down then I will work on clipping them. Just taking things slowly just now...

... but at least he doesnt smell anymore!
    Ashley, with Holly and Murphy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great news and must be a big relief. I know he had been washed at some point but don't know if this was by Thelly -- she might have some hints too if they washed him while he was there.

There is an oral sedative that can be given. Some dogs do need sedation for grooming all right but your vet can probably advise.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com