Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grooming Murphy...

Post Thanks / Like

I really admire you and everyone else who works in rescue with these poor dogs that have not been treated kindly. Your patience and perserverance are amazing.

I had 2 foster dogs that I bathed before they ever set foot in my house outside their crate. I think I was just very lucky as these dogs had obviously not had a bath in years, but they took it very well. And I had to cut HUGE mats out of them, too! They were very tolerant, thank goodness! I think my ignorance of the possibility that they would object turned out OK. I wasn't about to have those poor filthy, muddy, flea-bitten, matted, smelly dogs in my house without a bath! Maybe they could tell I wasn't going to have it any other way, so they thought, "Oh well, we'll let the crazy lady wash us." They were really good and of course I was as gentle with them as I could be, talking to them, cooing, etc the whole time. I think they were so starved for kind attention that they were only too happy to put up with the bathing to get it. I don't know what I would have done if they had put up a fight! It never occurred to me! In fact, now that I think about it, if I had really been worried about them objecting, my hesitance may have triggered them to get upset, too. So maybe it was all for the best.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just catching up on this thread. That is great news that you were able to bath him...well done.

He never had a full bath here - and in fairness to him never needed it as he was so clean all the time - not like my mucky lot!! He had the odd 'wipe down' - always very carefully and didn't seem to mind it too much.
    Thelma - Willing slave to LouLou (Ruby), Bailey (Big Blen),
    Ginger Retired Momma Blen

Post Thanks / Like

Just to let you all know that Ive cut out the matts that were behind his ears! They were HUGE. He didnt even flinch... just cuddled in between my knees whilst I chopped away!!! What a great wee lad!

We can also touch his back legs now, and his tail!!!

He's also coming over for a lot more cuddles now, and him and Holly have started snuggling in together!

We are a happy household!
    Ashley, with Holly and Murphy

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a feeling it wouldn't take long. Would love to see some more pictures please
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I bath mine in a baby bath, placed in our's. it was very cheap, from asda , and has a plug, so water can be left to drain away or build up (useful for cleaning bums, as the water is only deeper near the dog, so he doesn't feel as though he is threatened by lots of deep water).

Teddy can be stroppy, but luckily his back end doesn't get messy. However, this is how I groom his and Joly's back ends:

I sit on the floor, legs stretched out and sit a dog on my right inner thigh, facing away from me, with his right leg spread over my leg. Then I swap legs and thighs.Seating them like this and holding the hair near to the body, so it doesn't snag, works well.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great news! Glad he's fitting in so well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com