• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy food vs. Adult food

PennyLane

OK, school me, guys!

Chesney comes home in less than a week, and my number one concern is their food. Because at 10 months, Penny is on adult food... and I don't want her eating the baby food or vice versa!

I asked my best friend today, a small animal vet, if we could give Chesney her adult food instead of the puppy food - and she told me a resounding NO!!!!!!

I *know* I have heard from others that they started their pups out on adult food... any advice?

Penny eats Royal Canin Mini.

The answer is actually yes. To tell you the truth, I think very few of us, including humans, have perfectly balanced diets. I know breeders who refuse to give puppy food, yet, give raw which is mostly protein. And puppy food is higher in protein. I really don't think it can hurt him, I like that puppy food is more concentrated so they get more nutrients. If he doesn't gain weight or starts to look too thin, then I would adjust things. I recently placed a puppy who was a horrid eater. Every night at bedtime, I'd make him eggs, noodles , with a little butter, it was the only food he ate with zest. It actually was pretty nutritious and he needed the fat too. It gave him a nice supper to sleep on so he wouldn't be too ravenous all night. And he was thriving, beautiful shiney coat, tons of energy. You may want to buy some good puppy biscuits to give him , in his crate at night in case he gets hungry during the night, or leave some puppy kibble in a dish. I also did that with the puppies.

Last edited:
I would respectfully disagree with your friend. I think it is becoming more and more common to transition off puppy food at a much earlier age. I think this has been going on for a few years now. It has for our breeder friends and it has for us. Up until our most recent puppy, we used to transition at 6 months, but we have even changed our mind on that. The puppy we just got from a breeder out east was transitioned when we first brought her home at 11 weeks old.

I think if you do a little searching on the forum, you will find that a lot has been written on this subject. You may even find something that i wrote about that is dated compared to what I believe now :D

My breeder advised me not to feed puppy food. She gave all her puppies adult food ( the little bites). She said the puppy food was just too rich. Anyway, Dixie did great on adult food.....Judy and Dixie

She told me 6 months would be fine (to transition) but at 12 weeks he would benefit from the puppy food. I am going to put a label up side by side and see the difference (between royal canin mini and puppy). If it is something I can make up for with a "supplement", I might do just that!

is royal canin mini junior up to 10months okay or should he be on the adult version vegas is 8 months, i really love the smell of his food

I don't feed puppy food as a general rule - With my Italian Greyhounds, puppy food can cause them to grow to fast which leads to joint problems. I've never had a cavalier puppy before, but alot of breeders I've talked to have told me that puppy food just tends to be to rich and cause diarrhea and other digestive upsets - I mainly feed raw, but if I fed kibble, I'd just use a good, all life-stage kibble.

Back