• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

neutering

Incidentally the figures I found that came directly from san Mateo County (from a group opposing the ordinance!) indicate the figures now widely quoted in the anti spay/neuter campaigns are totally false. The *increase* in euthenasia in the incorporated county where the ordinance was enacted was actually only 3% going by the table here (and that is for a fiscal year including several months before the ordinance came in, meaning one could not really claim a direct relationship if the increase happened anyway); still the increase was only 3% and only meant 34 dogs, NOT 125%) and euthenasia figures dropped again the following two years (92-93: -5%, 93-94: -12%). One could argue fiscal year 92-93 would more accurately reflect the post-ordinance period and there was a 5% decline in pts rates that fiscal year. Unincorporated areas had a higher rate of pts but still that wouldn't add up to 125%.

http://www.fanciers.com/npa/sanmateo.html

I wonder where in the world the 125% increase in pts rates figure came from?

I'd be interested in seeing the statistics on non compliance with rabies as well. As far as I can tell, one website or blog posted this info and it was picked up everywhere as facts and examples of a failed ordinance.

my views purely as a pet owner and not a breeder or involved in rescue is

IF you're not going to breed get them "done"

i have heard of dogs jumping 6 ft fences to get to a bitch in heat!!

my 2 have been done, and in no way do i regret it xxx

I read this thread out of curiousity, since my sister in law has got a tiny intact male (mixed cavalier and Danish-Swedish farm dog (I don't know the English name). EVERY time we are together we have to keep our spayed Molly in a lead or caged, because he constantly tries to hump her. The two dogs like each other, and we wouldn't mind them playing, but it only takes 30 seconds before the male tries to hump Molly. We are really annoyed about it, and we have suggested that the male got neutered. But my sister in law thinks it is "a shame" to do that to her dog!
Now we are going to spend Christmas together (in our house), and of course she brings her dog, because she has no other alternative. I am now dreading a Christmas of me being annoyed a lot of the time.
This weekend we tried to suggest that she got the dog neutered, but no! She thinks it will change the dog's "personality" into something very passive, and she doesn't want to pay for it. So - we have to put our dog in a lead, when we are together. We can't even explain all the health issues to her. We tell her that it is groce to see to humping dogs in the living room, where we are eating, that our dog can get diseases, that our dog is a virgin and we want it kept that way etc. etc.
I feel that I did the right thing spaying our dog, and that my sister in law just doesn't care what happens between the dogs. I don't have enough experience with dogs to know whether all intact males behaves that way, but to me this male seems to only have sex on his mind, when he is together with Molly.
Well, it was a bit off topic, but it was just to let you know what it feels like, when you can't control somebody elses un-neutered dog.

Last edited:
Well, she could do a lot about this with training, and this all could also be a behaviour issue too. But I have had a lot of male intact cavaliers through who were like this and the behaviour totally topped once neutered. They were absolute pests.

As this is an issue for you and ruining your enjoyment of holidays and is likely to fester for years, unless addressed now, I think in your place I'd have a serious talk:

1) either they consider neutering and training the dog
2) or leave him at home or kennel
3) or crate inside the house and use a short lead for total control of him when he is at your house.

After all it is YOUR home, YOUR space and YOUR dog isn't the problem.

This dog could tie with yours meaning waiting a half an hour or similar for them to untie! This could be extremely distressing to your dog, too. It is simply, rude and unacceptable behaviour and the dog doesn't have the self control to be mixing with your female at this time.

Thank you, Karlin. I really appreciate your advice, and I think I will call her and have a talk. We normally have a very good relationship, so I will be able to reason with her. Right now the family thinks that I am the hysterical one regarding this humping male, but I will try to approach it carefully.

I live in Los Angeles, California and so the culture and expectations (as well as problems) are different here than they might be in other parts of the world but I am always SHOCKED to hear that people don't want to neuter their pets!

I know that if I see an intact dog here at the park, on a walk, or anywhere else I typically thing rather negative things about their owner. Here at least, not spaying/neutering is considered very irresponsible.

Animals are happier, healthier pets if they are neutered. If you are not showing or breeding, there is absolutely no reason not to neuter.

It's already been mentioned here on this thread that male dogs are less aggressive, less likely to roam and much better companions because they are not distracted with hormones. I neutered my male at seven months and I wish I had done it sooner because his incessant need to mark on walks drives me a little batty, hehe!

There are so many homeless pets in every part of the world -- why risk creating a litter when it is relatively inexpensive and healthier for your pet to just have them altered?

Edit: I am 110% for a mandatory spaying/neutering bill. Last I heard the proposed one in Los Angeles was defeated, but there was supposed to be another up and coming.

I've seen enough bad tempered and poorly socialized dogs owned by irresponsible dog owners here. These are usually the dogs that aren't neutered and it only makes their aggression worse! These are not the kinds of dogs that should be breeding, nor the kinds of owners who should be allowed to contribute to the overpopulation and destruction of millions of pets.

People need to stop projecting their own genital and reproductive insecurities on their pets. Your dog doesn't care if he is neutered, it doesn't make him feel embarrassed or hate himself or his life.

Last edited:
I came on this evening to ask for advice on neutering our 11 month old male and searched first.

Our vet is against neutering Cavvies for weight reasons but on the other hand my mother is always onto us to have it done.

From reading what the posts here I think I will have it done because:

(a) I am not going to breed him
(b) We live on the edge of town with the country just round the corner
(c) He has been showing tendencies towards my mothers male Bichon and some of DD's teddybears :eek:

How long does it take them to recover?

Animals are happier, healthier pets if they are neutered. If you are not showing or breeding, there is absolutely no reason not to neuter.

It's already been mentioned here on this thread that male dogs are less aggressive, less likely to roam and much better companions because they are not distracted with hormones. I neutered my male at seven months and I wish I had done it sooner because his incessant need to mark on walks drives me a little batty, hehe!

There are so many homeless pets in every part of the world -- why risk creating a litter when it is relatively inexpensive and healthier for your pet to just have them altered?

It isn't always true that neutered animals are healthier. There are urinary incontinence, hypothyroidism, and osteosarcomas that are higher in neutered animals. A neutered female sometimes have behavioral issues.
I like to be given a choice(neutering is just one small thing), and of course my choice shouldn't negatively impact another persons life. There are laws on the books that aren't being addressed if you are being bothered by an intact animal.

I came on this evening to ask for advice on neutering our 11 month old male and searched first.

Our vet is against neutering Cavvies for weight reasons but on the other hand my mother is always onto us to have it done.

From reading what the posts here I think I will have it done because:

(a) I am not going to breed him
(b) We live on the edge of town with the country just round the corner
(c) He has been showing tendencies towards my mothers male Bichon and some of DD's teddybears :eek:

How long does it take them to recover?

It depends if he has both testes decended. Many vets don't even use stitches -- I try to keep them calm for a week or two (males, females 2 weeks). They are usually back to acting normal in a few days.

We had Barney done, he had been humping since we bought him at 8weeks old, nothing we tried could get him to stop he was getting worse. If we were going to breed of him it would of been a good thing, but I did have my doubts. I didn't want him done initially but once he was done I didn't have a problem with it. He is a bit overweight but that is our fault. We need to cut things down a bit.

Back