• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Torn Ligament

Phoebe

I'm upset after visiting the vet today with Phoebe. She has been running around fine but once she stops and just trots or walks around, she limps on her right paw. The vet says she has a torn ligament and she does seem to have a high pain threshold so I'm not surprised that she's been running on it. She had an anti- inflamatory injection and I have to give her Metacam for a week. No walking, running and lots of crate rest. (She is not yet a year old and is very, very active:() We have to return to the vets in a week with the possibility of a scan. We go away in three weeks and Phoebe should have been staying with friends, however the vet said book her into kennels so that she gets complete rest, so that gives me some indication as to how long (if not longer) she needs to rest her leg. I've got all sorts of questions buzzing around in my head, but I realized it would do no good to pester the vet about "what if's" until we get a clearer picture at the vets next week. Can anybody tell me please how sucessfully torn ligaments heal with just rest and medication? How long usually are they on complete rest? Do they often require surgery (we have got insurance) and is surgery very sucessful? I'm feeling really upset at the moment:(

I am sorry to hear that poor little Phoebe has torn a ligament. As upsetting as this is, try not to dispair. If you are successful at keeping her quiet, she should mend well. In humans it is recommended that normal activities not be resumed for about 8 - 12 weeks. I guess my only concern would be that the kennel you send her to really will keep her quiet. Even in a relatively small pen, a dog still can bounce up & down & do loop the loops. She really needs to be crated for a fair bit.

Thank you Caraline for your reply and your reassurance:) I will let you know what the vet says when we go next week.

Back