• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anaplasmosis......I need advice!!

Remali

I just got back from the vet a couple hours ago, and my poor Bentley has been exposed to anaplasmosis.....a tick-borne disease rather similar to Lymes. The vet said he didn't have a full blown infection yet, but he had a temp of 103, and he is so sore in one hindleg he yelped out in pain today and was shaking so terribly.....it scared me so badly, that was when I took him to the vet. It came on rather suddenly yesterday, but the limping and leg pain started today. Anyway, the vet has Bentley on doxycycline (to give it with food), and for pain she gave me some Rimadyl to give him, BUT I just read online that it apparently can cause death in some dogs?!! So, I am very glad that I have not yet given him any of the Rimadyl (and I am not going to either).

Has anyone else dealt with anaplasmosis, and what did your vet recommend and how did you treat it?

Gosh Renee...how scary. I bet that just really threw you. I know nothing about this but wanted to give you some support. Re the rimadyl...I found this information

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/rimadyl.html

Both of mine have safely taken rimadyl short term, Shelby after patella surgery and Jake after his oral cancer surgery.

Hope you get some solid info and everything is okay.

Thank you for the website Cathy, and also for letting me know about the rimadyl...I called my vet again this morning and they said they use rimadyl a lot....so I will give some to Bentley today (I had given him another small dose of aspirin this morning). Bentley was worse this morning, but at least he wasn't crying out in pain.....but he was staggering more and had trouble walking, he also had some diarrhea....so I stayed home from work to be with him, no way could I go and leave him alone in that condition, he couldn't even lift his leg to go potty and was wobbling all over and toppled over a few times, so I'll help him go potty and just be here for him all day today. I hope he gets better soon, this has me so scared.

That is really so frightening; hope he quickly recovers. I hadn't heard of this before. Sometimes people like to give Metacam rather than Rimadyl. I think aspirin would have about ther same risks as rimadyl actually as it can cause problems for some dogs; in either case it is pretty low but it is good to be aware and make the decision you are comfortable with.

How long does it take for recovery? I hope not too long for him (and for you!).

Thanks Karlin, I wondered about the asprin too, and so decided to give the rimadyl a try today seeing as I am home all day with Bentley. I'm not sure how long the recovery is, it sounds very similar to Lyme disease (both caused by ticks). I think I read that anaplasmosis at one time was called erlichiosis (not sure I spelled that correctly).

Back