• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is this normal?

hbmama

This past week I have noticed that Dottie's breast glands are slightly swollen looking. She started her first season on March 9th, and we kept her sequestered for about 5 weeks. She is scheduled for spay the first week of July. I know her hormones are probably still fluctuating but is it normal to have little puffy breasts at this stage, between seasons? She is otherwise happy, bouncy, healthy and showing no physical problems whatsoever. Any thoughts on this? Is this something to be concerned about? :confused:

Sounds like a phantom pregnancy to me as well, keep in mind most dogs, weither bred or not, have the same hormonal changes, I have one of my showdogs that every time she goes in heat, weither bred or not, she starts producing milk and the whole 9 yards!

Sounds like it could be a false pregnancy perhaps. Probably not an issue as by July she should be well over it. But I had one rescue who kept going into false pregnancies and we had to spay her mid-false pregnancy. She really, really had full on signs though.

Thanks for the replies. I'll bet that is what it is. There hasn't been any milk or discharge, just a little bit of puffiness down there. I feel better now and will be counting the days until it is time for the big snip!

Once at dog training the teacher spotted a dog with the same problem, she said to take it to the vet. I'm not sure if this was necessary but I would phone and ask just in case.

She isn't oozing any milk or anything, but her little breasts are swollen. I called the vets office and they said it is very common about 7 to 10 weeks after a heat, and as Karlin stated, should subside in a few weeks and be totally normalized by the time of her spay appointment in early July.

I did some internet research and the phantom pregnancy info made me realize the reason she is doing some goofy behavior that she didn't do before. She keeps dragging her blankets in and out of her crate, fixing and fluffing them. She is also a little more restless than normal and less inclined to go on her walks which she usually loves. She has also been hiding her yummiest chewies for later and eating a bit less at meal time. The funniest behavior is that she has rounded up all of her furry critter toys and lines them up, "grooms" them and places them gently in the blankee beds she so carefully prepares.:rolleyes:

One site said try not to pet her on the tummy and discourage the pretend puppy behavior, because that can bring in the milk discharge (which we don't want.) Other than the odd behavior, she is still as loving, sweet and happy as ever so I am sure she will be ultimately okay. Thanks for all of your input!

Back