• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM pain management study

chloe92us

SM STUDY IN MINNESOTA, USA.

I'm sure Karlin has posted this info before, but I just saw it on another site so I'll post the info again.

New therapeutic agent to provide improved pain relief. The Clinical Investigation Center at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine is conducting a 14-day study of CM/SM in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. The project will examine treatment with a new therapeutic agent which is hoped to provide improved relief from the pain associated with this condition. Before a CKCS can be enrolled in the study, it will need to have been diagnosed by MRI scan with CM/SM within the last 8 months. This evaluation can be performed at the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center. Additionally, prior to enrollment, the dog must have some clinical signs of scratching, pain, and sensitivity to touch. Cavaliers aged from 1 year to 11 years and weigh between 8.8 lbs. and 28.6 lbs. to eligible. Dogs currently on other pain medications are still eligible but we will have a transition period to wean them off current therapies. Dogs intended for breeding or with concurrent medical conditions including ear disease, grade 3 to 5/6 MVD heart murmur, or epilepsy are not eligible for the study. The initial neurological evaluation is offered free of charge, and and if eligible for study enrollment, the MRI is also free of charge.

Dogs enrolled onto this study will be randomly allocated the new therapy or placebo, in a 1 to 1 ratio. A placebo is a product which looks like the investigational product, but contains no active ingredient. You and the veterinarian will not know which treatment your dog is receiving; this is known as a “masked” study. This helps the accuracy of the drug evaluation. The dog will still receive basic pain medication with carprofen (Rimadyl®) regardless of whether they are taking the new drug or the placebo.

Once the diagnosis of syringomyelia has been confirmed by MRI, a blood sample will be taken to determine if the dog is in good general health. Participating Cavaliers will be prescribed carprofen (Rimadyl®) and will need to take this treatment twice daily for a minimum of 7 days prior to enrollment on the study. The dog will then need to return to the Veterinary Medical Center to be enrolled in the study and will be assigned either the new therapy or placebo. The dog will take this medication twice daily in addition to the carprofen for 14 days. There would be two further follow-up visits- one after 7 days of treatment and one after 14 days of treatment (end of study visit).

The principal investigator is Dr. Ned Patterson. For more information, contact Marianne Robeck, study technician, telephone 612-624-1352, email [email protected] website www.cvm.umn.edu/cic/current/Neurology/Syringomyelia.html (May 2008)

Last edited:
I can't tell from the way that's worded - But I'm assuming this is only open to people that are near the University of Minnesota, right? If they would do a satelight study and I could use a local vet for the exams, I'd be very interested in participating!

I understand that this is part of the same trial the Royal Vet College is doing. It does indeed require that you be within driving distance of the place where the study os based as the dog has to be assessed several times within about a three or four week period. I asked about getting on the Royal Vet College trial but would have had to travel to London several times. If you have questions though it is worth doublechecking with the university. (y)

Back