Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help cleaning ears

Post Thanks / Like

Default help cleaning ears

hi can anyone give me advise on cleaning the ears i clean her ears every other day with just a little warm water and cotton wool then fully dry them but since its got a bit warmer my ruby seems to be getting waxy smelly ears shes been vet checked for mites recently and infection but there were fine i just wondered if any of you out there use any cleaner or wipes of any kind

Post Thanks / Like

I use Thornit Powder in their ears every so often, per their breeder's recommendation! It's great... keeps their ears dry and clean!

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think u are suppose to use water from my experience.
    i usually use ear solutions from the dr. but you can get them from petco/petsmart as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I put the ear cleaning solution and soak a cotton ball with it, stick in their ear, and then massage from the outside for a second... then wipe it around and throw it away, then dry it off.
    Kat &
    Penny Lane ~ Blenheim
    Sir Chesney ~ Ruby
    Tally Berry ~ Black & Tan

Post Thanks / Like

I use Thornit Powder in their ears every so often, per their breeder's recommendation! It's great... keeps their ears dry and clean!

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx
    I have some Thornit which I used a couple times with Buddy but it seemed to "cake" in his ears. I wondered whether I was using too much. How much do you use and how do you get it down in their tiny ear openings?
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppotterfield View Post
    I have some Thornit which I used a couple times with Buddy but it seemed to "cake" in his ears. I wondered whether I was using too much. How much do you use and how do you get it down in their tiny ear openings?
    I just lay them on their sides, open the ear flap and sprinkle a litte bit in. I have read that you can put some on a popsicle stick/tongue depressor and gently blow it in. I massage the ear from the outside once it's in. If it's caking, you must be using too much.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rubys mom

thanks everyone for advise i know what you mean about the water but i dont wet them i only dampen the cotton wool i know not to get water in her ears i put cotton wool the ears even when she has a bath so not to get water in as i know from other dogs ive had can cause problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, I'd keep away from water in the ear canal as a moist environment encourages nasties. I use EpiOtic ear clearner, but your vet will have a similar product (if not this one) that is safe for cleaning ears.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

I use both earoptic and the thornit powder. I bought the earoptic and the pet store. I was really surprised they carried it.

Holly - I do the thornit powder the same way. In fact...you told me that's how you do it!! And it works great. I just tap a little into the ears and then massage it around a little.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T View Post

Holly - I do the thornit powder the same way. In fact...you told me that's how you do it!! And it works great. I just tap a little into the ears and then massage it around a little.
    Glad I could help, Cathy!

Rosalita tended to have problematic ears, but since using Thorn-it regularly, her ears are great!