• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

help cleaning ears

nubus

hi can anyone give me advise on cleaning the ears i clean her ears every other day with just a little warm water and cotton wool then fully dry them but since its got a bit warmer my ruby seems to be getting waxy smelly ears shes been vet checked for mites recently and infection but there were fine i just wondered if any of you out there use any cleaner or wipes of any kind

i dont think u are suppose to use water from my experience.
i usually use ear solutions from the dr. but you can get them from petco/petsmart as well.

I put the ear cleaning solution and soak a cotton ball with it, stick in their ear, and then massage from the outside for a second... then wipe it around and throw it away, then dry it off. :)

I use Thornit Powder in their ears every so often, per their breeder's recommendation! It's great... keeps their ears dry and clean!

http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-528-thornit-ear-powder.aspx

I have some Thornit which I used a couple times with Buddy but it seemed to "cake" in his ears. I wondered whether I was using too much. How much do you use and how do you get it down in their tiny ear openings?

I have some Thornit which I used a couple times with Buddy but it seemed to "cake" in his ears. I wondered whether I was using too much. How much do you use and how do you get it down in their tiny ear openings?

I just lay them on their sides, open the ear flap and sprinkle a litte bit in. I have read that you can put some on a popsicle stick/tongue depressor and gently blow it in. I massage the ear from the outside once it's in. If it's caking, you must be using too much. :)

rubys mom

thanks everyone for advise i know what you mean about the water but i dont wet them i only dampen the cotton wool i know not to get water in her ears i put cotton wool the ears even when she has a bath so not to get water in as i know from other dogs ive had can cause problems

Yep, I'd keep away from water in the ear canal as a moist environment encourages nasties. I use EpiOtic ear clearner, but your vet will have a similar product (if not this one) that is safe for cleaning ears.

I use both earoptic and the thornit powder. I bought the earoptic and the pet store. I was really surprised they carried it.

Holly - I do the thornit powder the same way. In fact...you told me that's how you do it!! ;) And it works great. I just tap a little into the ears and then massage it around a little.

Holly - I do the thornit powder the same way. In fact...you told me that's how you do it!! ;) And it works great. I just tap a little into the ears and then massage it around a little.

Glad I could help, Cathy! :)

Rosalita tended to have problematic ears, but since using Thorn-it regularly, her ears are great!

hi can anyone give me advise on cleaning the ears i clean her ears every other day with just a little warm water and cotton wool then fully dry them but since its got a bit warmer my ruby seems to be getting waxy smelly ears shes been vet checked for mites recently and infection but there were fine i just wondered if any of you out there use any cleaner or wipes of any kind

The smell is likely yeast from the moist/ warm environment in her ears. I have the same thing with my Cav. I use an herbal ear wash daily and added a probiotic to his food that promotes good bacteria. The probiotic works to keep the yeast at bay internally, in addition to a plethora of other health benefits.

rubys mom

yes i thought it might be as she gets very warm ears when shes been sleeping :D whats the wash you use do you make it or buy it :rolleyes: do you find the probiotic helps at all ,is it the natural kind sorry for all the questions just curious

yes i thought it might be as she gets very warm ears when shes been sleeping :D whats the wash you use do you make it or buy it :rolleyes: do you find the probiotic helps at all ,is it the natural kind sorry for all the questions just curious

No problem! I use Halo Ear Wash, its herbal...available at all Petsmart and most Whole Foods in the US. For probiotic, I use Pet Flora - available here:
http://www.vitalityscience.com/

The probiotic is also great for soothing the G.I. tract and digestion!

rubys mom

great advise everyone thanks(y) ill have her ears smelling great:flwr: in no time

Back