• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crating at Night

Mom2Lola

I am crating Lola at night and she has been doing great. The first few nights she woke up a few times to go potty. Then she started sleeping through the night. Well last night she was up every hour crying and wimpering. We let her out a few times and she would pee just a little bit each time. We then started to just lay by her crate and that would settle her down but then she would be up again in an hour or two. Does she still need to go out in the middle of the night at 9 weeks? Or is she missing her littlermates?

Ahhhh, the early puppy days... At 9 weeks, she still probably needs to go out once or twice at night. It's like having a newborn baby that needs to eat! ;) We got Ollie at 12 weeks, and he still needed to go out once for about the first two weeks.

The crying every hour is probably her way of telling you she's lonely. I had one of those fabric-type portable crates and the top had a zip-to-open part and when he would cry, I would just stick my hand in and he would stop.

After a couple weeks, though, we put him in our bed! :eek: He's been there ever since. But he stopped needing to go out in the middle of the night! (y) Hey, whatever works!

I don't know if Jazz is typical or not, but he had to go out during the night until he was 17 weeks! I remember the sleep deprivation very well!

Hang in--it's all worth it:luv:

I went through some tough times too, I think it took us 17-18 weeks to get there and we got ended up getting another puppy so they slept together and I think that is what saved us.

Oh and if we hadn't have gotten another pup, or if it wouldn't have gone better, I would bet a MILLION dollars that Kip would have ended up in bed with us. He was always able to make it through the night if he was in bed with us. Pretty sure he just missed his littlemates and wanted to be close to his pack which happened to be in bed with us. Luckily, we got Albie and by the very first night, both were making it all the way through. It was amazing.

Chesney is 13 weeks and is still up once or twice a night. Penny has always been crated at night (and when we are away during the day, etc), so he will be too. For him, it's more about getting used to the crate I think. He sleeps on my nightstand. LOL

I almost caved in to letting him in our bed last night. Paco has been in our bed from the day we got him. He has had a hard time adjusting to having her here so I thought it might not be a good idea to put her in our bed untill things got better between the two. He growls at her when she gets to close to him.:( Although right now they are sleeping about 12 inches away from each other! I have a feeling Paco doesn't know she's there! LOL

Jato got up in the middle of the night for a month or so after we brought him home (at 10 weeks). He needed to pee and poo, so it really was good he woke us. Gradually he started to sleep longer and longer. Make sure to pull up the water around 7 or 8pm. Be patient, she is pretty young to hold it for too long.

Well Qnotje is now 9 weeks and she has been with us for 10 days and she never needs to go out during the night..

Her breeder already told us she never heard them during the night.. She usually wakes up around 6am though but then again I'm getting up at that hour so that's not a problem at all..

Qwebble also needed to go potty during the nights though and Qwick as well, but normally after a few weeks they should be able to sleep the whole night without any problems.

Our dogs have been crated at nights as well until they are old enough.. Qwick and Qwebble aren't crated anymore but the little one is.. But she is in the same room with the other two and has a stuffed bear to sleep with.. So no complaints there either ;)

I always cut them a bit of slack when they are so young. Yes, partly they need to pee more often at night, and yes perhaps they miss their mummy & litter mates. When we get a new puppy I usually let them sleep in my room (in a big box in the early stages). I put the box by my bed so I can dangle my arm in and give a little pat. If the puppy seems upset & restless I cuddle him to sleep and then sneak him back into his box.

Lots of people think that this makes it hard to get the dog used to sleeping on his own, but I've never had that problem. Usually I find that once the puppy starts to get his confidence, he is more happy to sleep in his own place without crying.

I get the puppy used to sleeping in a crate during the day & then at some stage I replace the box with the crate for night time sleeps.

Back