• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food advice please

Ciren

Up till now i had planned to feed Peaches on a well balanced dry food, unfortunetly it appears she doesnt like dry food. well as long as she has a well balanced diet that is fine with me.

the thing is i would now appreciate advice on what brands would be good, your experiences etc etc.

thank you in advance.

I would personally keep her on the food she has been used to, at least for a few weeks whilst she is settling in. :)

thats half the problem, because of her circumstances we don't know what she is used to. the fosterer said she didnt like dry and gave me a tin of wet food. obviously i need to buy her more.

altho by hints i will get chicken flavour :D

she was rescued from the farm last thursday.

thats half the problem, because of her circumstances we don't know what she is used to. the fosterer said she didnt like dry and gave me a tin of wet food. obviously i need to buy her more.

altho by hints i will get chicken flavour :D

she was rescued from the farm last thursday.

What a blessing that you rescued her! I got my rescue (a Yorkie mix, not my Cav onto her new food by using it as treats.

Have you tried mixing the wet with kibble? Just make sure you mash it up well so she can't pick out the wet food!

I would also suggest taking the dry food you have already purchased and mixing it well with a canned food, and maybe even a bit of warm water to make a gravy. I like the idea of using a kibble of the dry food for training. That will get her used to the "crunch". I personally use Canidae food for Jato. Good Luck!

lots of good idea's thank you.

i havent actually bought her any yet as i was told i would be given a starter pack with her which inc food. i presumed she would have been fed on that and (to be blunt) the fosterer was rude about the food that is given out) now i am totally confused.

a bag of burns (the foster guy it gives the dogs diorhea but they sponser the centre so they have to hand it out) and a tin of meat. oh and some boiled chicken.

the local shop sells purina one.
http://www.purinaone.co.uk/uk/dog/

apparently at the fosterer's she was spoiled rotten and given ham and chicken bits. i must admit i am kinda annoyed as if i had known this sooner i would have been better prepared.

OK, let's consider a couple of things. People are not necessarily right simply because they are fostering a dog. (y) The dvice you are getting from the foster is ridiculous (but don;t tell him that!).

Burns is an EXCELLENT dry food. You also really NEED to feed at least a dry food in part, as a soft diet can ruin their teeth and gums. So I'd definitely advise sticking with Burns as a great choice of dry. You also need to stop letting the DOG run the show. Please read this which has some good advice for dealing with what you are encountering: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=24168

You can add in small amounts of cooked chicken (skin off) or trimmed ham (no fat) or other things, but only feeding them ham or chicken is NOT a good diet and the foster has not helped the situation of improving her diet by feeding her only this! I would not feed anything except the dry food until she is eating her entire bowl when it is put down for her. Wait a month or so, then introduce some goodies mixed in if you'd like. You need to get her eating a healthy quality dry food and not give her the opportunity to pick out just the goodies, which is what she is likely to do right now.

I might go back and talk to the rescue about your concern about this range of advice as I'd be going ballistic if anyone fostering for me was 1) rude to the adopting family; 2) belittling the excellent food being offered by a company that is obviously supporting the rescue!; 3) feeding a foster so poorly. They'd be off my foster list in a nanosecond. I'd ask the rescue, and not the foster, for care advice anyway. I'd certainly let them know the foster was saying this about a sponsor's food.

Purina One is not a great food choice. I'd stick with Burns or go for James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin in the UK -- all are generally easily available at pet shops. Supermarket foods are all mediocre quality (that is why they are cheap and in the supermarket). Go for the largest available bags and simply close them tightly or get a sealed bin for the food to keep it fresh, and you will save money even over the cost of junky supermarket foods.

As noted on a different thread, I'd also asap order one of Ian Dunbar's books on dog care from amazon.co.uk as it will answer myriad questions you will have over the life of your new dog. :)

Maybe if Peaches was on a different food then suddenly changed to Burns at the foster home she would get diarrhoea but Burns is a really top quality food. Dry food like Karlin says is better for teeth and gums. I would stick to this and not give any soft food or chicken for now, if you do, she'll only turn her nose up at the dry food. She isn't under weight by the look of her and she won't starve herself.

he wasnt rude to me, they were really nice he just said the food had given alot of the dogs diorhea, anyway in the end i rang my mum cause i was stressed. she suggested i ring our vets.

the nice lady there backed up everything you just said. but i did add water to soften it a tad and mushed in some chicken. you guessed it she ate chicken and left the rest.

from the morning its dry food or nowt.

Hold firm! :lol: Generally it only takes a couple of meals for them to realise -- eat or the food goes away and then there's nothing at all.

Wetting it a bit with some warm water brings out the smell and taste which many dogs like.

Try not to worry, you are doing a great job and with plenty of patience and training it will be fine:)

I agree with what the others said, we can't give Ashton our eldest wet food or he then refuses to eat dried food but we are very strict with both our dogs and their food is down for approx 15 minutes and if it isn't eaten then its in the bin and there is nothing else;)

I would lead train her as you would a puppy let her walk around your garden with a loose lead etc, it will all be new to her but they are very easy to train as they are very keen to please:)

Definately get a dog book like the one suggested as it will answer loads of questions as you go along;)

Many of us feel your pain on the food front. Our Buddy had some folks in my household sitting on the floor, feeding him by hand when he "refused" to eat from his bowl. I was very stern, please do not do that, he will not starve himself, etc. Then I would find myself the victim of those lipid eyes and when no one was looking I would sneak him food. It only prolonged the agony. The sooner you commit to putting the food down for 10 to 15 minutes and taking it up again, the sooner you will be able to put this behind you. But, oh my goodness, it is hard not to feel guilty and even harder not to cave.

Good luck and know there are lots of us here who have "been there, done that"!

heh its not me who has to be strong now i got it worked out in my head, however hubby will behave if he doesnt want to be sharing her kitchenbed. lol

Back