Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody Else Feed Raw?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody Else Feed Raw?

I was wondering if there are any raw feeders on this forum. I feed my Cav a raw diet and it saved his life after a bout of severe puppyhood colitis...Anybody else?
    "For more doggie stories and fun facts, visit cupofdog.com!" Louis Reginald

Post Thanks / Like

I feed raw, and my dogs all do amazing on it!
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feed raw but I used to - one dog did great on it but Cass didn't so I went back to Naturediet - but they do get a nice raw bone aprox once a week as their teeth were excelent on the raw food.

SParky has had 2 raw bones & loves them - I have thought about giving him a chicken wing every so often (they make Cass sick) to keep his teeth nice but I'm a bit worried he will swallow them whole as he's a bit of a gobbler!

Out of interest what do you raw feeders feed as I think it's more difficult feeding small dogs raw - only my opinion! I'd love to feed Sparks raw but just think it would be unfair with Cass not really baing able to stomach it - she would get sick a few hours after eating a chicken wing & her coat went very greasy & dull looking & flaky skin (& she was having fish oil suppliments & dorwest herbs keepers mix)
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

I feed prepackaged raw thats made in California, the brand is called Primal, but am starting to switch to prey model (natural) raw feeding as we are relocating with the dogs overseas next year. I know a lot of small dog owners in Yorkie Talk use a meat grinder and partially grind the parts/bones before giving them to small dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

We don't have anything like that here in Ireland - I used to feed raw mince in England called forthglade which included crushed bonemeal but can't get that here!

I didn't think of a grinder though!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I am planning on having a grinder after we move as I won't go back to feeding kibble. Apparently the only brands available in Israel are Purina and Science Diet. Blech!

Post Thanks / Like

OMG - that must be worse than Ireland for dog food then!
    Sonia

Post Thanks / Like

Seems that way. I can't find anything online about raw feeders or natural/ holistic pet care in israel. This will be one interesting adventure. Perhaps its there, just not online as there are a huge community of americans and their dogs!

i wont lie, I'll sure miss just popping by the pet shop and buying 8 lbs of meats all ready to feed!

Post Thanks / Like

I also feed Primal to both of mine and they are doing fantastic on it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy,

I heard in California pet superstores have freezers for raw feeding. Is that true? If so - how cool!!

After panicking all day, I finally found someone on one of these forums in Israel to email and she has a vet friend who makes raw diets for dogs! At least I can arrange to have some premade for the first few weeks till I find a good butcher.

My cav does so well on Primal though. He eats like a "King" - he eats the Pheasant, Duck & Venison formulas!