• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anybody Else Feed Raw?

CupofDog

I was wondering if there are any raw feeders on this forum. I feed my Cav a raw diet and it saved his life after a bout of severe puppyhood colitis...Anybody else?

I don't feed raw but I used to - one dog did great on it but Cass didn't so I went back to Naturediet - but they do get a nice raw bone aprox once a week as their teeth were excelent on the raw food.

SParky has had 2 raw bones & loves them - I have thought about giving him a chicken wing every so often (they make Cass sick) to keep his teeth nice but I'm a bit worried he will swallow them whole as he's a bit of a gobbler!

Out of interest what do you raw feeders feed as I think it's more difficult feeding small dogs raw - only my opinion! I'd love to feed Sparks raw but just think it would be unfair with Cass not really baing able to stomach it - she would get sick a few hours after eating a chicken wing & her coat went very greasy & dull looking & flaky skin (& she was having fish oil suppliments & dorwest herbs keepers mix)

I feed prepackaged raw thats made in California, the brand is called Primal, but am starting to switch to prey model (natural) raw feeding as we are relocating with the dogs overseas next year. I know a lot of small dog owners in Yorkie Talk use a meat grinder and partially grind the parts/bones before giving them to small dogs.

We don't have anything like that here in Ireland - I used to feed raw mince in England called forthglade which included crushed bonemeal but can't get that here!

I didn't think of a grinder though!

Yep, I am planning on having a grinder after we move as I won't go back to feeding kibble. Apparently the only brands available in Israel are Purina and Science Diet. Blech!:grnyuk:

Seems that way. I can't find anything online about raw feeders or natural/ holistic pet care in israel. This will be one interesting adventure. Perhaps its there, just not online as there are a huge community of americans and their dogs!

i wont lie, I'll sure miss just popping by the pet shop and buying 8 lbs of meats all ready to feed!

Cathy,

I heard in California pet superstores have freezers for raw feeding. Is that true? If so - how cool!!

After panicking all day, I finally found someone on one of these forums in Israel to email and she has a vet friend who makes raw diets for dogs! At least I can arrange to have some premade for the first few weeks till I find a good butcher.

My cav does so well on Primal though. He eats like a "King" - he eats the Pheasant, Duck & Venison formulas!

Mia had terrible puppy colitis and couldn't tolerate kibble either. I put her on Nature's Variety raw food and she's not had one episode of colitis since. We love it!:D

Mia had terrible puppy colitis and couldn't tolerate kibble either. I put her on Nature's Variety raw food and she's not had one episode of colitis since. We love it!:D

Yay raw! Thats what got me to raw - Louis had puppy colitis :(

Cathy, do you feed the Primal diet with kibble, or do they just get the raw meat? I have seen it at the Pet Supply where we shop but didn't know much about it. More info please??? I think I would like to try it.

Cathy, do you feed the Primal diet with kibble, or do they just get the raw meat? I have seen it at the Pet Supply where we shop but didn't know much about it. More info please??? I think I would like to try it.

Kibble and raw digest at different rates and using different mechanisms to break down. Raw and kibble should be fed between 6-8 hours apart from one another :)

My boys are on raw. They have a combination of prepared raw (Primal) and RMBs (chicken necks and wings, turkey necks, lamb riblets, beef necks, organ meat), yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin, seaweed, cooked fish, raw eggs, olive oil and many supplements. They are doing very well on raw.

My boys are on raw. They have a combination of prepared raw (Primal) and RMBs (chicken necks and wings, turkey necks, lamb riblets, beef necks, organ meat), yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin, seaweed, cooked fish, raw eggs, olive oil and many supplements. They are doing very well on raw.

Hurray for Cavaliers on Raw!!!

Okay, I just joined CupofDog's club. Also, thanks for the answer re not feeding kibble and raw within so many hours of each other. Have alot of questions posted. Looking forward to some good answers from those of you who are experienced raw feeders!

Okay, I just joined CupofDog's club. Also, thanks for the answer re not feeding kibble and raw within so many hours of each other. Have alot of questions posted. Looking forward to some good answers from those of you who are experienced raw feeders!

Thanks for joining! My name is Hilary by the way. I am a passionate dog lover, am serious about pet nutrition and read everything I can get my hands on. I do lean towards a holistic approach, but firmly believe in being middle of the road and putting an dog's well being over any 'beliefs.'

There is no right answer for every dog or their people. My Cavalier Louis is my teacher, my heart and my soul pup. This breed has changed my life and I am so grateful to be a member of a community of fellow Cav lovers. (y)

You bet! I feed raw (home prepared) and would never go back to anything else. One of the best things that happened and I feel pretty confident is a result of feeding raw, is the way our 11 year old Boxer boy now feels & looks. Eighteen months ago (when getting primarily kibble) Sam looked old & his arthritis caused him so much trouble that I wondered how he would cope in the coming winter. Well these days he bops around like a little puppy & it has been 12 months since I have had to give him a dose of carprofen... even during winter. He is honestly more active than he was 4 years ago.

Back