Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody Else Feed Raw?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraline View Post
    You bet! I feed raw (home prepared) and would never go back to anything else. One of the best things that happened and I feel pretty confident is a result of feeding raw, is the way our 11 year old Boxer boy now feels & looks. Eighteen months ago (when getting primarily kibble) Sam looked old & his arthritis caused him so much trouble that I wondered how he would cope in the coming winter. Well these days he bops around like a little puppy & it has been 12 months since I have had to give him a dose of carprofen... even during winter. He is honestly more active than he was 4 years ago.
    YAY!!
    Join our new raw feeding group! We need home prepared raw feeders to assist us! http://board.cavaliertalk.com/group.php?groupid=8

I just love how raw diets are linked to these great stories about restored vitality in our pets!
    "For more doggie stories and fun facts, visit cupofdog.com!" Louis Reginald

Post Thanks / Like

I go away for 1 day and there are 3 pages of Raw Cavs!!

Winston's breeder advocates feeding at least partially raw, but I wasn't comfortable with it at first. When Winston was about 6 months old we started feeding 1/2 raw, and a few months after that went all raw** with no turning back! Winston (1.5yr) and his GSD sis Kelsey (11.5 yrs) eat a prey-model raw diet, along with a salmon body oil supplement. They are happy, healthy, clean teeth...couldn't ask for more! Winston (16lbs) runs 3-4 miles with me a few times a week no problem, and Kelsey is looking better now than she has in years.

Heading over now to join the new Raw Cavs group!!!

**I travel a lot, and am not really comfortable with the boarders feeding raw, so they get grain-free kibble and canned when I'm out of town.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shell nyc View Post

**I travel a lot, and am not really comfortable with the boarders feeding raw, so they get grain-free kibble and canned when I'm out of town.
    Glad to have you in our group! Hurray for raw! I agree, when I travel I use grain free kibble/canned. I keep them used to it by using the kibble as treats.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feed kibble with Primal. It's just the Primal. They also get a glob of pumpkin, an ice cube (defrosted) of pureed fruits and veggies, salmon oil and a probiotic. Shelby also gets Seacure for her knee and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

For travel have you looked at Stella & Chewy's freeze dried? I've not tried it but just talked to someone the other day who uses it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T View Post
    For travel have you looked at Stella & Chewy's freeze dried? I've not tried it but just talked to someone the other day who uses it.
    What timing! I was picking up kibble/cans to leave for them during my next trip when I noticed that the store sells a variety of Stella & Chewy's. It looks good and I would probably try it if it was just Winston, but with a 65lb dog to feed as well I don't think I can afford it!

Post Thanks / Like

I feed raw as well. Seems to keep my boy healthy and in good energy. I just make sure to carefully handle it and wash his food bowl after each meal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CupofDog View Post
    I just started a group for raw feeders! I hope you all will join and we can share tips, experiences and pictures that show how our gorgeous Cavs thrive on raw feasting!!!

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/group.php?groupid=8
    Theres another good site for raw feeders - it's an american site & thers a forum dedicated to raw feeding - www.dogster.com
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T View Post
    I don't feed kibble with Primal. It's just the Primal. They also get a glob of pumpkin, an ice cube (defrosted) of pureed fruits and veggies, salmon oil and a probiotic. Shelby also gets Seacure for her knee and a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement.

DOh! I read that as you feed deforsted ice cubes! Was thinking 'why didn't she just say water' - the re-read it!!!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MishathePooh View Post
    I feed raw as well. Seems to keep my boy healthy and in good energy. I just make sure to carefully handle it and wash his food bowl after each meal
    Cleanliness is one of the most important components of feeding raw. I use stainless steel bowls and wash after with hot water and soap!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive joined the group - but defo need to look into it more before I go raw again.

As I said my Jack russell Cass allways was sick after eating chicken wings & had a manky coat so I'd be reluctant to put her fully over to raw again really but I'd like to give Sparky a go on it.

Any advice what I should start with as he's only ickle! (He does love a big marobone though!) Would be great if we had some of those pre-made frozen raw diets here in Ireland that you guys in the USA seem to have!
    Sonia