• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Big Girl (or boy)

Brian M

Hi
I know theres a thread currently running about the weight of cavaliers and i also realise that unfortunately being over weight is a big big problem that leads to all sorts of nasty illness,s and complications and i also know that people may not want to advertise the fact that they have a "Big Girl/Boy",ant i cant really say its for scientific research cos its just plain old curiosity. So the question is at Poppys last weigh-in she was 13.60 kilos or 30 llbs is there a bigger cavalier out there or is she the biggest girl ,pls be assured though she is on a very strict diet and is losing weight.cavtiny

Monty was 33lbs the last time he was weighed, but I don't want to stress him by weighing him , now. He is very thin, due to mvd, but used to weigh more. He's nearly 13 and has a well known large ancestor.

IMG_0765_1.jpg

Dottie and I LOVE Monty. He has the most soulful eyes and he is absolutely precious and that face has personality plus!!!!

My mother's rescue cavalier Parker(aka Porker) was 42 Lbs.He's lost some weight over the last few months but he's probably still in mid 30lb range.
He's being weighed at the vets this week so we'll know for sure then.he's also a tall boy.
Sins

Sins: :eek: I had no idea but Id sure have guessed in the 30s when I collected him. That's one big big boy!! :eek:

I love Monty's face too. :)

There's a difference between fit and fat. There are many BIG cavaliers who are fit at their weight. There are many dogs that should be within the breed standard weights for their size and are very FAT (Lily was one -- she was at the top of the breed standard (18 lbs) when I got her out of the pound and is now at the bottom of the UK standard (12 lbs) and she was the fattest cavalier I'd ever seen til I collected Parker. :lol: I'd gues low 30s to high 20s would be Parker's correct weight as he is a big fella anyway. Really beautiful dog too; just more of him to love (though there could be a little less with not worries... :))>

Holly was 13.6kg two weeks ago we reduced her food by 25g and she was 13.3kg yesterday, really happy with her progress as she is on c/d which is pretty fattening, the vet reckons her ideal weight is around 11-11.5kg, shes obviously just one of those big cavaliers!

My dog is over 13" tall which is over the breed standard.She weighs 9kilos which is about 20lbs or so.
Im paranoid about her weight but for her buid and height 9kilos is her ideal weight.Looking down on her she has a nice niped in waist and her tummy inst saggy or anything despite being speyed nearly 12mths ago.
Ive met people who have cavs bigger than my lucie too!
Just like us people cavs come in such a variety of sizes!!!

Hi
So it seems theres not many big cavvies out there or are they all being shielded by embarrassed owners ,there must be more than whats already posted.

It’s not very often that I meet a Cavalier the same size as SiânE, mainly because they are mostly pups. So she tends to tower over them anyway.

I remember just after I took on SiânE, my brother who was houses/dog sitting for a friend in Richmond would walk the dog everyday over Richmond Park. Not only were there loads of Cavaliers over there but my brother reckons they were larger than SiânE.

I had only had small dogs before SiânE, she seem so huge compared to what I was used to. I love her size.

Cailean used to be about 34 lbs and was no way overweight. He is a very large (not fat) cavalier, which Dheripark preferred in their dogs.

His weight has dropped slightly with his MVD, but he doesn't look thin yet.

I have to admit that Parker is still visibly fat(not just tall).
My mother is wondering what's an appropriate rate of weight loss for a cavalier.He's losing about a pound a month and she's worried that he's not losing it fast enough,on the other hand she's afraid of crash dieting him.
At a pound a month we're looking at a year before he's at an acceptably healthy weight.The vet seems happy with his food intake but parents aren't physically active enough to exercise him heavily.He snacks on a sliced apple and one thin slice of ham in addition to his daily feed of diet dogfood.
Any ideas/suggestions?
My mum usually spends most of August with us looking after kids while I work mornings.Maybe if she brings him with her we can give him some major exercise around the woods and along the beach.
Sins

rubys mom

my rubys was 2 in april and weighs around 24 -26lbs seems daft but she sometimes weighs different the heaviest ive weighed her is 26lbs but she gets plenty of excercise:dogwlk: and i do watch her food intake she was a big puppy thats why i picked her lovely big ball of fluff :luv:her mom was a big girl also but she looks heathy and has plenty of go in her i think it depends on the dog really a big dog can be as healthy as a small dog as long as there not overfed if they stay this weight i carnt see theres a problem :rolleyes:

Sins
When I got Jassy he was overweight but he hadnt been out of the garden in a year. I took him for lots of short walks rather than long ones.

Back