• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Balls!

Ciren

sorry couldnt resist, seriously tho are tennis balls to big for their mouths?

There's no problem with being too big. My concern would be with a ball that's too small, as I know of a dog who died by getting a ball stuck in its throat.

Annie has no problem carrying a regular-size tennis ball, but it is a tad large. I found smaller tennis balls (about half-size) that are perfect for her. Of course, what she loves most is tearing the felt cover off.

I would be careful about balls that are two small. I believe that one of Oprah's golden retrievers died when she choked on a ball that was too small.

The dog I know about was a Pyranean pup, who went to our training school. The person who ran the school had a large poster up telling the story and warning about balls small enough to fit in the back of a dog's throat.

The owner lived in a bungalow (I mention this to illustrate how close the bathroom was) and glanced out of the window to see the puppy happily playing ball, so went to the bathroom for a very quick visit . She then went staright outside to find her pet dead. In that short time, he'd managed to get the ball stuck and stopped breathing.

:( Please don't give your dog a smaller tennis ball.I had a dog that almost died. He got the ball lodged in his throat and if I hadn't been there he would have died :eek:.....
I don't give Ellie the bigger one because she tears bits off and I am frightened of her swallowing some.....

I think you need to consider your own dog. I really do not see a problem with the smaller tennis balls. We use them with our Buddy.There is no way he could swallow that ball. We do not, however, take it to the Dog Park because there are large dogs who might get a hold of it and for them it could be dangerous. Even at home the small tennis balls are not left in the toy "bucket" but just brought out for game times, since there is a remote possibility that our Clumber Spaniel Hadley might try to swallow one.

Buddy does not really like retrieving the regular size tennis balls. If we had tried to teach him to retrieve using them, I am not sure how successful we would have been. I think they are just a little too big and not that comfortable for him to carry. He loves his little tennis balls and rubber balls which are about the size of a tennis ball but which have some "give" to them unlike the firmer construction of the tennis ball. He also likes to retrieve a small fabric "frisbee" and his little stuffed "pink dog."

My approach is to be careful but use common sense and judge my own situation and dogs.

Happy ball throwing ("Okay, Buddy, it is getting dark. How much longer, please?!?")

Two balls are actually better than one ;)

you are all so funny...:jump: yes the thread did catch my attention too. My husband hits his balls with the hurley...and ruby goes and gets the balls and brings them back to my husband!!! Mind you they are not too big and not too small. They are slightly smaller than a tennis ball....with a picture of the simpsons on them!!!!!

beat that!!!!!!:D

At the petstores around here you can buy tennis balls in all different sizes... regular, small, and mediums. We get the inbetweens - not tiny enough to eat, but small enough to carry!

We have both sizes and our dog could care less. I had visions of fun afternoons playing fetch with her in the yard. I ended up playing fetch with myself, as my dog just sits there, watches me throw it and then looks at me like, you don't really expect ME to go get that thing, do you? :rolleyes:
You guys are lucky to have dogs that will play ball in the first place!!! Dottie is too much of a diva princess to be bothered.

i am trying to teach her how to play, she seemed interested when her blue bone bounces but it only bounces once, i was hoping to get something a bit bouncier so i can play with her.

since to much bounce can damage certain balls i won't make another joke here.

I got a ball from a pet shop, it was the size of a tennis ball but it was softer and if punctured didnt collapse. It might not have been suitable if the dog was a chewer but mine werent so i knwo it would be ok.

I use the chuck it mini with maverick cause he can't pick up a normal sized tennis ball. He does like to pull the felt up a bit on the bigs ones so he has a handle to play with.

Back