• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Will Not Play With Other Dogs

Halina

It is becoming evident that despite visiting other dogs daily, some Hali wants nothing to do with (wild ones) and others she will sniff to check out but is always ready to go on her merry way. She show's no aggression or timiditity but rather just doesn't seem to care about other dogs. Is this OK?

Lots of dogs are not much interested in playing like this. Mine only like to play with a couple of dogs they know. They would never play with dogs they meet out walking or at the park, for example. All personalities are different.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think she just likes being our "baby".... and I am happy that she is happy to be with us. Thanks, Debbie

Amber's this way to, even with my other dogs. However, whenever she finds another cavalier that wants to play, she's more then happy to play with them! She just prefers her own breed I guess!

Neither of mine is terribly interested in playing with other dogs. Jake will initially greet another Cavalier, Shelby could care less. And once the dog is settled....neither is interested in playing. But they'll play with me til I drop :)

Our Buddy does not play with other dogs but he does greet them. We have a small neighborhood Dog Park and if a new dog arrives he is at the gate to introduce himself and check them out. He is then contented to explore and play on his own, chase us around or, and this is his preference, sit on the Park benches and visit with humans, those he knows and those he wants to know! :)

My Clumber Spaniel Hadley played hard with other dogs when she was younger but generally preferred to play one on one. If a third dog joined in she would back off, sit and watch. At almost four, she will still engage other dogs in play but not as often as when she was younger. She too mostly loves to visit with humans on the Park benches. :rolleyes:

Even though neither Buddy nor Hadley play with other dogs that much, I continue to take them to the Dog Park not just for the exercise (we take long walks and do have a fenced yard with space to run) but because I think it is important to continue to expose them on a regular basis to other dogs so they are comfortable being around them. You can do this with Hali by taking classes or just going to a park or other area where there are dogs frequently enough that she does not lose her comfort level with them. Besides, she may be just waiting for the right friend to come along.

When we go to my friends house, Dylan will play all day with Toto, have a sleep and play some more. But she is the only dog who will do this with him, most play for 5 mins then they have had enough. They are all different. Don't worry :)

I find Millie can be somewhat anti-social too sometimes! She rarely bothers joining in when my Mums dogs are around, and you can always find her curled up on the sofa when the rest of them are all playing with their toys.
She much prefers to play when its on her own terms :rolleyes: and usually with just one dog.

No worries, they are all different. Sofee Marie goes to day care every weekday for 6 hours at the homes of two different women (one one day and one the next, they are business partners). AT one house she she plays only with the cat, and the other, only with the homeowners dog, NEVER with any of the other day care dogs. Not that there are that many, usually only 1-3 more, but she really doesn't care about other dogs. But, she LOVES to play with me anytime at all!

My dog is the opposite, he wants to greet and play with every single dog down the park. He's too friendly and confident for words!!

If he's on a lead, he yaps. So embarrassing! My last cavalier was the same!

It;s funny how they are like kids -- they like some dogs, don't like others; play with some, never play with others.

Back