• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Panic Stricken!!! Slight murmar

NeimaLennon

OMG I am soo scared. I will start from the beginning, my Neima was diagnosed 4-5 years ago as having skin allergies. Three years ago she was diagnosed with diabetes. She has been ill for the past few days and I thought she was better last night but she began to be sick. Anyway I was told she had a touch of gastrointeritis. They took her temperature and it was high that off 103. When they removed the thermometer there was blood on it which I was then told she had colitis an inflammation of the bowel. Her blood glucose was taken and she listened to her heart and was told she had a slight heart murmar. I felt devastated inside!! I was told that if she starts to excessively cough or gets tired very quickly with exercise to take her back and the vet also explained about the valves etc that the heart will find it more difficult to pump blood round the body. I read about MVD and those are the symptoms and signs. I am so worried. How quickly do these murmar worsen. Such a shame she has soo many things wrong with her and to be told this on top of the diabetes is just heart wrenching.

Last edited:
Try not to panic, hard I know. Did they suggest any tablets? How old is Neima? I have had a dog diagnoised at 6 who lived to be 14.5 years and that was before they had the current tablets.

The coughing is usually first thing in the morning due to fluid gathering overnight.

She is 7 on her birthday this month. She has not had any symptoms yet. It just so unfair on her bless her wee soul so many things wrong with her and now this! I have just taken her out for the toilet as well and her bowel motions are red which they were not before the vets i know it is just the colitis but with the whole slight murmar thing i am just so paranoid. They are my furbabies lol i get broody and he buys me a dog so i have always treated them and talk to them as if they were kids. I am so scared of losing her. I know i am being silly but i just can not help it.

P.s nothing was suggested just that if she starts to cough or gets very tired during exercise to take her back.

Last edited:
Try not to panic, hard I know

I know it's difficult...but try not to panic. You've already dealt with so much with Neima but there are so many resources and medications available for heart disease. Have you seen a cardiologist? I don't know how it works over there but here we have health clinics where you can see a cardiologist at a decent cost. So many Cavaliers are able to live long lives with a managed heart condition. Hoping Neima is feeling better soon.

Hi Cathy

No i was only told today through the new American vet that she could hear a slight heart murmur. I was told if she begins to cough excessively or tires quickly from exercise to take her back.

I am feeling more at ease now.

Thanks

Just to try and further put you at ease, One of my babies was diagnosed with a murmur when he was only 2 and a 1/2. He is now nearly 6 and still frolics around like a puppy with no medication. I am sure the load of your little ones health problems is very heavy and heartbreaking and I would have had the same reaction you did and to be honest sometimes still do but its not as instantly final as it sounds. :flwr:

While it may seem worrying, a mild murmur at your dog's age would be pretty common in the breed -- the main concern is when they get murmurs when younger than 5. She may never worsen -- many dogs are diagnosed with a murmur and never have it increase at all. About half of all cavaliers have a murmur by age 5. There's a good post in the Library health section that goes through the treatment aspects of MVD in cavaliers.

Back