Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry dog food help

Post Thanks / Like

Question Dry dog food help

Hello all!
    I would like to know everyones opinion on what the best dry dog food is. I've tried to do some research (hours!) I read many of you feed Burns, but that is not available in the USA. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a hard question - The best food is the one your dog does the best on, but with my rescues, and when I travel, I swear by Canidae Chicken and Rice. Never found another food that not only do my dogs love, but they all seem to do very well on. But I know others have said it can be to rich for their dogs, so it just depends on your dog.
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

We've just been through a terrible time in trying to get our new pup Chloe onto a food she could tolerate. Her breeder fed her for the first 10 months on a dry food (think its Irish made) called Gain. When I ran out of the supply he gave me when we bought her, I tried her with Mills, James Wellbeloved and Royal Canine (lots of different types). They all disagreed with her and she had a really very upset tummy for a few days as a result.

I finally found a Royal Canine food (Mini junior) that suits her perfect. The kibble is really tiny and as she is really small herself - she can manage to eat it with no hassle. Her stomach is way better and she wolfs her dinner down every day. Can you get Royal Canine in the US?? (probably a stupid question, so sorry if the answer is obvious)
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Royal Canine and my pups wouldn't touch it! I'm so frustrated! It's not a stupid question at all! I would ask the same thing. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful dog!

Post Thanks / Like

i just switched to EVO. and my dogs stools are very very SMALL now!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Evo is a good choice. I feed my finicky little eater a variety of foods as did her breeder. Her breeder liked to give her dogs a variety of foods. My Dixie has no problem at all with different foods. In fact, I think she would be bored with just one food all the time, but that is just the way she eats. I am not saying it is right or wrong. Some of the foods she eats are: Nature's Variety (Prairie), Merrick (Grmmy's Pot Pie), Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Evo, Royal Canine, and Canidae These foods come in different flavors and also with canned food. I sometimes mix a littlle canned with the dry, but she doesn't really like the canned, but I know some of the dogs just devour the Merrick canned food. I think all of the above were listed in the Whole Dog's Journal as being good dry food. Good Luck. Judy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most of the time if dogs won't eat a food it is simply the dogs holding out for the social interaction of you then trying to persuade them or offer something new -- not a real food issue at all. This breed seems to be particularly smart at copping on that they can get lots of attention and different foods if they simply hold out. Have a read of the finicky eater thread in the Library (Caring for your Cavalier section). It might be the answer, rather than trying lots of different foods.

There really isn't a single 'best' food. The most expensive are not necessarily the best foods either, though anything sold in a supermarket is going to be mediocre quality. Best thing to do is read up on how to interpret dog food labels (there are threads on this in the Library section too) and find a food that appeals in both price and ingredients an stick with that long enough to get the dogs eating consistently. I like to have two or three different foods that I rotate -- once one bag finishes I tend to change flavours or brand the next bag. I feed James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin or homecooked.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

We have tried Artemis, Innova, Canidae, Royal Canin, Blue, and California Natural, and Dottie doesn't like ANY of them unless it is mixed with beef, or chicken, or scrambled egg, etc.

I gave up and based on all the rave reviews of the prepared raw food diets, went out and bought Primal Duck. OH MY GOODNESS! She LOVES it, it's gone in 60 seconds or less, and she is a very happy girl. Her stools are much firmer and she is not passing gas (so unlady like) the way she was before. We will see how it goes, but so far, so good!
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My Jato loves Canidae Chicken and Rice.
    Jato - Blenheim, Nov. 2007
    Zoey - Ruby, June 2008