Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry dog food help

Post Thanks / Like

After trying many different foods, we finally settled on Innova Evo Chicken.

Most recently we had tried Merrick Terducken which she liked but for some reason caused her to be pooping like 4 times a day of formed stool, including waking up in the middle of the night. I really don't know why... too much fiber for her, maybe.

I usually add something in to "get her started". Most recently it's been a canned food by Weruva called Funky Chunky Chicken Soup. I only put a little in.

Sometimes I mix in a little steamed chicken or roasted turkey, or frozen raw chicken (forgot the brand, maybe Natures Variety?), or a little shredded cheese.

I know it's my own fault she is somewhat finicky.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be good to look at sources like the Whole Dog Journal, and sites like dogfoodanalysis.com, as well as others listed on this board over the last few months. If you search on this board (I mean use the search function), you will find lots of threads with links and specific brands.

I have been feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific Salmon formula off and on for the past few months. The ingredients look really good, Daisy seems to really like it, and she does well on it. It is grain-free, which I think is good. We just finished a bag of Halo's Spot's Stew, which also includes salmon. It looks really good, too.

Look at the ingredients list for lots of meats as the first several ingredients and avoid grain parts like corn gluten, wheat gluten, rice hulls, etc. Also avoid animal fat, unless it's specifically identified as chicken fat. Too many meat meals or meat by-products are also a problem, IMO. I've become a real label reader myself, so I feel pretty confident picking out the winners from the losers.

I like the ingredients of EVO, but Daisy won't touch it, though I've tried it several times. I wish she would. One food she does like right off the bat is "Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul." I hate the kitchy name, but the ingredients do look pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been trying out different foods for my 3, and just lately have settled on Nature's Variety Prairie Venison & Millet dry, Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken dry, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry.

I would love to try them on Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit dry, but have never seen it at the stores. I'm also planning to try foods with salmon or other fish as the protein in the future.

In the past I have fed them Evo, Canidae, California Natural, and Royal Canin, all of which they enjoyed. Geordie and India were eating NV raw frozen rabbit and lamb for a few months recently when we were trying to figure out their food sensitivities.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you! I do spoil them and I think they DO hold out!

Post Thanks / Like

She's so pretty!

Post Thanks / Like

You may not have to change your food at all. I use Merrick's Dry Food - Turducken variety. Jolly is my finicky eater. So I spoon some canned gravy on the dry food and mix it together and he gobbles it right up. He just doesn't like any plain dry dog food, because I have tried a few different brands. What works for him is a little gravy.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

I feed Orijen, a Canadian food that can be purchased in the US at pet specialty shops. The dogs LOVE it and their poops are very compact and easy to clean up. It's also grain-free, high protein.

I sometimes supplement with Nupro Gold to make a gravy as they really seem to like that! Good luck!

PS/ Probably the switching around of the foods all the time was giving her an upset tummy. It can take up to 2 weeks for some dogs to acclimate to a new food.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Default We are a Castor and Pollux household.

I love and adore the Castor and Pollux brands of food. We've been feeding Romeo (our cat) this since we got him as a wee kitty and he has thrived on it. It was only natural when we got Tybalt to start him on this brand as well. He had been on Iam's at the breeders and we slowly mixed his foods over a couple weeks to get him acclimated to the Castor and Pollux puppy food. It has no by products in it, the ingredients are simple, chicken, dried bits of fruits and veggies, DHA and vitamins and minerals.

So far so good! Whole Dog Journal recommends it!

Post Thanks / Like

We've had Bella for almost 3 months now, she's almost 11 months old...at 8 months, the breeder had her on Purina Pro Plan for sensitive skin and stomachs, she would mix in some Merrick wet food. Our veterinarian didn't agree that she should be on a adult food at 8 months, so I took her advice and tried to switch her to a puppy food...we tried Wellness,Flint River Ranch...she would eat them for a few days, then stop...I finally bought some Royal Canine mini, and she loves it! It's not a puppy food, but she eats it, and she eats it dry Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Burns mini bites with nature diet (slightly wet food) combo.