• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nail clipping at home

Louise1823

Millie is booked into the groomers next week, and Ive noticed her nails are in dire need of a clipping. Im too afraid to attempt to clip them myself at home (have seen the clippers for sale in pet stores), and always get either the vet or the groomers to do them for me. Millie's were only clipped a few weeks ago, but have really grown very long and I cant wait to get her in next week to have the cut.

How difficult is it to clip their nails at home?? Am I better off to leave it to the professionals?? How often on average do they need to be clipped???

This is one chore that can be done at home. I play with my dogs feet from the time they are born and still a couple don't like nail cutting. The right supplies at hand make this easier.
I like medium nail cutters, I am not a fan of guillotine ones (to each his own)
styptic powder (you can use the tip of a match or even flour)
I use trimmers to cut the hair from under the pads

I like using two people-- ones job is to hold and pet the dog. They can give them treats for good behavior. The other person concentrates on cutting the nail and trimming the pad. Remember that with light nails, you should be to see the red vein-- take a little off at a time and you should be fine.

Back