• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

i think she is developing SA

Ciren

last night she scratched at the kitchen door. we thought it was because we didnt wake at 6:30am like we normally do. we just tried to go to bed and you guessed it she was scratching. i tried to take her upstairs with us in the hope she would settle and she didnt and she even peed on her blanket i had put down.

yes i will go read the correct threads and yes i will try to deal with it but i feel like crying. we been out all day so i am tired and its that time of the month so i am emotional. i can't let her disturb hubby as he has to be up at 5am or work. i don't like sleeping apart from him but for tonight i am downstairs on the sofa bed.

I'm no expert on separation anxiety but I'm sorry you are feeling bad :hug: I hope someone else can help you soon. :flwr:

If she was scratching at the door, was she trying to tell you she had to go out for potty?

I'm not sure I follow your meaning - what is SA?

SA = separation anxiety.

its possible she needed to go out for the loo i suppose, but she does follow me about like a shadow so i doubt it. it feels like anxiety to me. when i pop her in the kitchen to eat she usually waits with her nose by the door to be let back in.

Sorry you're feeling down Ciren :hug:

It does sound like SA alright. When we got Minnie, the first night she slept in the kitchen and I thought "Isn't she great! not a peep out of her all night!" the next night, she hammered down the door so I put a bed upstairs beside our bed and she hopped right in there and slept all night.
I think the first few nights Peaches was probably nervous and now she has bonded with you so she wants to be near you. If it suits you, you could set up a bed for her in your bedroom, if not, then you'll just have to ignore the scratching every night (very hard to do) and eventually she will get used to it.

is putting her in a crate in your room an option? does she make noise inthe crate?
i am sure its been very hard on your family,with your husband has to wake up at 5am.
i dont know if its just SA or the pup is just lonely.
My ching does not has SA but he has to sleep with human. (well now he is 3 he sometimes will leave the bed to cool of if it gets too hot. but he always comes back)
I am sure your pup will grow up soon enough. best of luck!

i am calmer now its day :D

we hadnt gotten round to getting a crate yet altho hubby says he will get one on his way home from work today. we really dont want her in the bed with us so we will try a few other things. she slept like a baby on the sofa with me last night but to be honest i missed hubby :(

I really would not use a crate at night for a dog that has been kept in a cage all its life so far. I'd get a puppy pen or something with more room to have in the kitchen. Or have a crate with the door off in your room -- many dogs will choose to sleep in an open doored crate as it is a cozy den for them. I would only crate a puppy farm dog that clearly is happy in a crate.

If she peed on the blanket to me it sounds like she was scratching because she really needed to go. Are you taking her out last thing at night and withholding water for the two hours before you go to bed? That should help.

Separation anxiety is totally normal especially in rescues, but to be honest most dogs will make at least some initial attempt to get you to come see them at some early hour after they wake up and you are not there.

It isn't always possible to stop them from waking early and barking etc. Lucy was like this for months despite every attempt to address it. Eventually she slept in my mom's room and she was happy with that, whether in crate or on the bed. Now she sleeps by my pillow.

I dont think this is SA.

If any dog was to get it I would say it would be my Holly. She is with me ALL the time. Always wants cuddles... has to be touching me all the time, yet I can pop her in her crate at night and there isnt a peep out of her! She is 9 months now.
If she does cry and scratch, it ALWAYS means she wants the toilet. So we then take her out, regardless of the time of night (this will be easier for those with gardens right enough :rolleyes:). For instance, I forgot to take the water away last night, and at 5am both Holly and Murphy cried and scratched at their crates... so I took them out, both peed, and came back in and in to their crates.

The crates for them are in the hall so they can see into our bedroom but arent actually in it... as we dont allow the dogs in the bedroom or on the bed or anything!

The very fact that she done the toilet in her blanket says to me that she was trying to let you know she needed to pee! ;)

Good luck! And dont stress, as that energy will filter down to her, and Im sure she's had enough stress in her wee life already! :(

All the best :flwr:

If she barks in the night I would definitely try letting her out to see if she needs the toilet. If this is the issue then it's an easy thing to solve and is a good sign as she is actually letting you know she needs to go out rather than soiling in the house.

But if it is SA it could be much more complex and take a long time to get over (if ever). When Molly came to live with us she had SA and wouldn't let me leave the room for 1 second before she started to wail and howl. It took a long time but she is finally starting to become more independent and only the other day left my bedroom where I and Bella were to go off by herself to the sitting room and found a chew which she was happily eating in the hall when I went to investigate where she got to - this is after 1.5 years living with me.

Hopefully you will get this sorted - let us know how she gets on :flwr:.

rubys mom

just persevere things will get better shell soon learn with a little help;) good luck:xfngr:

Back