• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Obsessed with flies

Anndav

Over the past week or two, as the weather has been getting warmer, Cosmo has become obsessed with chasing after and catching flies. He barks and whines to get them and will climb any furniture around to try to get up close to them. He particularly is interested in buzzing insects, like bluebottles. I have a feeling this behaviour will escalate. He is only 6 months old. While not many insects get into the house, its impossible to keep them all out. Has anyone any advice or tips on this subject?

Anndav

I don't know if flies are poison for cavaliers? Molly chases them, too, has done since she was small. The same goes for all insects (spiders etc.) We keep an eye on her, and we catch the bees before she does! But she eats the spiders and flees if she catch them, luckily the Danish ones are totally harmless.

Ellie eats spiders :eek: and flies ( she is 17months). She can spot even the tiniest fly on the ceiling.....I have owned several different breeds and she does seem more obsesed than onthers :confused:......She is also an avid bird watcher :D

My cats and Lily chase flies. I've always viewed it as a useful way of getting rid of the flies that get in the house myself. :)

On the other hand -- an interest in buzzing insects can be dangerous as they can also go after bees and wasps. If they get stung in the mouth, or are allergic, their windpipe could be blocked by the swelling.

Amber is a MAJOR fly chaser, she has been as long as I've had her. I can't ever let her outside without watching her for fear she'll go after a bee or wasp, but inside the house flies are her favorite hobby, she'll spend HOURS chasing them!

Miles loves chasing flies! He's just over a year old and this is a recent hobby for him. Now that it's warmer outside he darts out into the patio and leaps around trying to catch them. Last night he was stalking a spider in the house...he's always loved chasing butterflies too :D

Dottie becomes the great moth huntress after the sun goes down. She loves to sit and watch for them and then chase and leap into the air in her quest to attack and catch one. I think it must be a cavalier thing because so many of them seem to enjoy this sport, and I have had other dogs over here who couldn't be bothered with chasing bugs.

Ollie is a major bug chaser and has been stung, more than once, by a bee. Luckily he is not allergic so just rubs his face on the ground for a few seconds...

Sometimes he gets so obsessed with the bugs that he doesn't "get down to business" and it can get annoying. But, oh well, he's having fun!

This last couple of weeks Alfie has driven us mad he just keeps barking at every insect indoors and out it can be so annoying. We usually tell him quiet if he is barking too much but he just totally ignores us now. He has even taken to climbing up on the sofa and jumping onto the window sill after the flies. When he catches it he splats it with one paw and as soon as its dead he eats it, we have to be so quick to stop him.

Micki is our resident "huntress" for flies. It becomes a major source of entertainment at our house. She chases the fly and the rest watch like spectators at a sporting match. She tries to "fly" herself when she leaps off the couch in pursuit. Mick on the hunt (sorry it's so dark):

DSCF7132-1.jpg

Annie is the same way. She gets obsessed if she sees a fly in the house. She will climb or jump on anything (including her people) to get to them. I don't think she's ever caught one, but she's sure chased a lot of them.

The other day there was an ant crawling across the floor and she started barking and pawing at it. It was pretty funny.

my chingching chases them too
i actually believe they are bad for him and caused him to throw up.
he also chase other stuff. lizards , butterflies and birds.
its cute to see but flies are dirty insects that carry a lots of dirty stuff around!

Back