• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy coat

rocky

when did your dog loose his puppy coat and how long does it take to come back in?

I dont remember much about his coat,but i do remember asking when was his rats tail going to unfold and become all feathery and fluffy.I think it was between 6 to 8 months.

My 2 boys are 8 months old and it seems like at 6 months of age they lost their puppy coat. Dudley (my blenhiem) has gotten his coat a lot sooner than Bailey (my tri).

Ollie is 9 months and just starting to get his adult coat, but so far just along his back. Below that is still the nice, soft, fine puppy fuzz. I think both mine are shedding like crazy now, though. It seems like there is a ton of fur on my floors these days...tumbleweeds!

it might be a silly question but what does it look like when they're losing their coat. Bobby is 6 months now and he's shedding allot however his coat doesn't look any different.

We got Dottie when she was 6 1/2 mos old. She started blowing her coat about a month later, then went into her first (and last) season. The furballs continued to come off of her for about a month or a bit longer, then it settled down. She now has a flat, combo coat with a mix of short and longer hair. I think her big girl coat is trying to come in, but thankfully the shedding is now down to a low roar.

It's not like an instant switch and they've lost their puppy coat. It's gradual. First the tail feathers start to come in and their ears look longer and fuller (and begin to mat! :() With Ollie, all of the hair along his backbone is long and thicker but the hair on his ribs, belly, and legs is still really thin / fine and super soft. Eventually that fine baby fur will be replaced with the longer thicker hair (his adult coat). I think he will look like a true Cavalier in about another 6 months or so. From what I hear, it can take up to 2 years or more for their complete coat to come in. It's a work in progress! If I remember correctly, with Casey, her coat was really beautiful by about age 1. With Ollie, it will be a miracle if he has a full coat by 1. But I'll let you know!

Well Beau is now 18 months and I think he is still switching his coat. It is still very soft & silky like it was when he was a puppy but he does have some unusually long strands coming from his neck & shoulders that don't match up with the rest of his coat. He certainly has is lovely big manly tail in.

My 15 month old still has mostly puppy coat. He has a feathery tail, longer ears and feathers on his legs, but his back is sleek and short and his tummy is completely BALD:confused:

Asyou can see it is different for all dogs, as is the way they get their coat. Some shed it all at once ('blow' their coat) and the new coat comes in right away. For others it is very gradual and you may never notice the old one coming out. It has taken a couple of YEARS for Jaspar to get his adult coat!! Leo had his more or less when I got him at 10 months, and they are half brothers. So it varies by line and by dog. Genes determine what happens and the kind of coat your dog will have (heavy or light, lots of shedding/lower shedding, silky or more coarse, way or straight, etc).

Back