• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

eye injury

sunshinekisses

Has anyone had an eye injury on their dog? Sunshine had her eye poked late last night. I didn't see what happened but when she came in her eye was weeping and she didn't want to open it. I took her to the vet when the office opened this morning. Her eye is very cloudy and inner lids red and swollen. She has a small ulcer from whatever poked her. I was sent home with eye drops and a full recovery is expected but I am a worried mom anyway.
Anyone with experience? Thanks.

The injury did not happen when she was ours, but Holly has a small scar on her right eye from some type of injury in her puppyhood. You can see it, but it doesn't seem to bother her vision at all. She did not have any type of treatment when she hurt her eye, so I'm sure that, with proper care, your pup will be fine.

Yes, have just dealt with this. Usually the ulcer will heal; sometimes it does not and they need to abrade the eye under anaesthetic. I know that sounds strange but done correctly it actually prompts the eye to start healing. I had both antibiotic drops and another gel to lubricate the eye. The lubrication was the important part. First try the eye didn't heal so Lucy had to have it abraded twice under a local. Be very religious about the drops.

Sunshine is okay tonight. Her eye is still very cloudy but it doesnt look so swollen. When I take her outside she squints her eye like the sunlight bothers it. We will keep a good watch on her...the vet wanted to see her again in 3 days if it didn't get better. I feel more confident now that I know others have gone through it.

Back