• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wiping bum on floor, i think you call it scooting?

Ciren

she did it last night and again this morning, i understand its because she needs her anal glands doing. can i make a appointment for sometime next week or do i have to go screaming down there today?

p.s i tried searching for threads but i think i spelt the word wrong.

I think lots of Cavaliers scoot, I have never had Dylan's glands expressed and he scoots sometimes. I think his bum just gets itchy occasionally, well if we didn't use toilet paper we would itch too!

Only you can tell if she is uncomfortable. I would say if she isn't in pain it's ok to wait.

It sounds like the anal glands need to be expressed by a vet. Not urgent. Just make an appointment. I feed my dogs extra fiber to help also. But for Jolly & Luke they still need the vet to do it twice a year.

It sounds like the anal glands need to be expressed by a vet. Not urgent. Just make an appointment. I feed my dogs extra fiber to help also. But for Jolly & Luke they still need the vet to do it twice a year.
:xctly:
Definitely schedule an appointment when you've seen her scooting. I would not wait for her to show any signs of pain - by then she could have an infection or abscess. You'll get to know how frequently she needs to have them checked. I have one that averages every 8 weeks or so.

Joly is my only scooter. He often does it when excited or if he has an itch and it's not necessarily due to anal gland problems.

If you hold a piece of kitchen roll over the anal area, a spotting of strange smelling brownish fluid, will often be on the paper, if it is a gland problem.

Izzy was the one who had gland problems and I could always tell because he went odd. He would hide under one of the dining chairs, instead of lying under my legs or the computer desk and would refuse to jump on the bed. luckily, his glands were easy to empty, so i did them myself.

Teddy had a problem, just once, but knowing that he may not be very nice about this and not wanting to upset his unexpectedly good behaviour at the vets, I gave him bran on his food and two extra dried food for two meals . The extra food made bigger stools, which did the trick.

Abbie scoots when she's annoyed, usually when she wants something from Cody or Gavin and they refuse to surrender it to her. She's a tantrum thrower;)

In the books I was reading before I got Dottie, most of the authors just referred to this as "The Cavalier Scoot." For some it is just an itch, some a goofy habit and others, an indication that the anal glands need attention. In the old days everyone would just assume the dog had worms/parasites, but with todays de-worming protocols, that is usually not the primary issue.

Last month, for the first time when she was scooting a bit too much for my taste, I called the vet to make an appointment. They told me that I was welcome to bring her in at any time even without an appointment, as the glands are quick and easy to check and express. It was $15.00 to have it done, and I happily paid the fee rather than dealing with it myself.:grnyuk: Hers were just "moderately" full. I would rather keep on top of it though, as anal abscesses can be nasty.

I don't find the smell obnoxious, there being far worse smelling bodily emissions. I'd describe it as destinctive, as when you smell it, you know what it is.

When Ruby needs 'doing' she smells abit fishy in that area and also bites at her back leg,that's when I know it's her glands rather than just the daft thing she does from time to time!

Most of the time I see my guys scoot, on inspection I can usually find some little errrr dry nasty bits. I think someone here called them "klingons". Only once was it attributed to anal glad problems and that was nasty as it had turned to an abcess.

Our Chesney did this when we first got him he also had his glands expressed by our vet. Since we changed his diet to Nature diet/Burns combo he has had regular stools, no diarrhoea/overflow and not scooted. Therefore in my opinion diet plays a significant part in this.cavtiny

Back