Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: tips for living with SM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Molly, Prilosec is now an OTC drug and has also just come out in the generic form Omeprazole as well (in the US). Please take your cavalier to the vet or neurologist to discuss using this drug and getting the correct dosage for his weight. Depending on other medications, he may not be able to take it, so it is necessary to check with your vet first.

Also Prilosec/Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (as are other similar drugs) which lessens the amount of CSF produced by the body. There are other drugs that can have a similar effect in decreasing CSF, like Lasix the diuretic. So if your cavalier is already taking Lasix he may not even need Omeprazole.

It is always best for your dog's medications to be managed by the vet, who has access to information about all known drug interactions. And any time your dog needs an additional medication, such as an antibiotic, the drug interaction must be considered beforehand.

As far as side effects, as long as I give Geordie his Omeprazole 2 hours before or after any other drugs, he seems to do quite well. I can tell it is working, because he sometimes starts scratching when it's time for another dose. I have noticed that he seemed a little happier when he was on Lasix for 10 days due to pulmonary edema, and I stopped giving him Omeprazole. But then the vet wanted him off the Lasix to make sure the pulmonary edema didn't return, so he's taking Omeprazole again. Soon I will be asking if we can try something else, just to see if he seems a little happier.
    Last edited by Cathy Moon; 26th July 2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: added text
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can buy Prilosec over the counter in the US but this should only be given in consultation with your vet or neurologist as they need to look at everything the dog is taking and at what medications might help a particular case as many of them do different things. There can be various side effects with any of these medications of course and there can be clashes with other medications or alternative treatments so it is really important to have any additional medications OKd by a vet and also have them go through the possible negative side effects to watch for. I have heard that Prilosec has had side effects for some dogs but don;t now exactly what those were.

Edited to add: Oops Cathy I see you already said all this!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for your info, I will take Molly and ask my vet, anything is worth a try, we have good days and bad days, thank you once again, I will let you know how I get on.
    Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karlin

Thanks for your info, I am going to take Molly to the vet and see what he has to say, I will let you know the outcome, many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Zylkene

The vet has recommended Zylkene for Molly 2 tables twice a day, has anyone got any thoughts on Zylkene? She is on 3 gabapentin aday, and also she is having mitagin twice a day, and on a bad day she will have rimadyl, I would like to hear from anyone with any info on the above, Many thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prednisone for Bonnie

Bonnie has been on prednisone for a few days and she is jumping, running and as happy as can be! We will be reducing the dose in a week so we will see what happens the. I am so thrilled that she is doing so well. Secretly I worry this may be a "honeymoon" period. Has anyone had this experience? It also makes me realize how "quiet" she had been before. We are closer than ever. She is so wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dog Steps.

I am looking into buying steps for Dylan to climb onto my bed. He has until recently been able to jump it but now it takes a couple of tries. I've seen two on ebay, one plastic and one wooden, both covered in fleece. Has anyone tried either. I think the wooden ones cover looks too loose. I may keep one in the lounge for the sofa but want it to look neat.

Wooden:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOGGY-ELDERLY-...2%7C240%3A1318
    Plastic:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIGHTWEIGHT-DO...2%7C240%3A1318
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Pauline -- what about step stools for kids? I have a couple that I use for Holly (for the couch and my bed). I took two step stools that my oldest daughter used and covered them with carpet (on the steps). I have one with three steps and the other with two. Here in the US they are available at stores like Target and Walmart, and come in many different colors and finishes. I've paid around 15-20 US dollars for nice wooden step stools. I just cut carpet to fit the stairs and glue, or I suppose you could use another non-skid material. Just a thought

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pauline. I am using the fleece covered stairs for my foster cavalier "Claire." She is at least 7yrs old and unable to jump up on the couch. She happily learned to use them right away after I pushed them up against the couch. Now she can easily climb up for a nap and a cuddle, and get down on her own when she is ready. They are lightweight and my puppy mill girl started using the stairs right away. I think this is a great idea for Dylan. They are portable and lightweight.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of these faux leather bean slabs which is beside my bed and mine use that to get on the bed.
    Norma
    Gabbie & Tilly