Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: tips for living with SM

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your loss of Ollie, I think it is a decision all of us with SM dogs will have to make one day and really dread. Its good that you are working to help others in the same boat with the scans.
    Judy

Chaos B/T Cavalier girl (1.1.2004) Armani Chinese Crested girl (16.12.2002) Onyx Chinese Crested Boy (1.8.2009)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine how you are feeling. I am so sorry for you and Ollie.

Living with an sm dog is like living with a ticking bomb, we will be faced with this impossible decision in the future and I am not sure how you know what is the right thing to do.
    Ollie was very lucky to have your love, care and devotion.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

i was reading your post. and i have a cavalier her name is jazzy she is 8months old. she is the light of my life. i have a question for u about the sm. how old was your baby when u new that he had sm? what are the signs? i hope to hear back from u. im really scard about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is lots and lots of information here on the site on SM and also I gave you four website links for information on your intro thread. Cavaliers on this board have been diagnosed with SM at anything from a few months old to elderly dogs so really it depends on the dog and if it is symptomatic -- many dogs with the condition are not. This is more a thread for discussing ways to care for dogs with the condition -- so maybe have a read of the sites I suggested and other information pinned at the top of the SM/MVD forum and if you have questions about what you have read, post them into the SM forum and someone will be happy to answer I am sure. It is a complex condition so reading up on it from some accurate sites will help fill in answers to many of your questions. Sites I suggested as starting points are:

www.smcavalier.com
    www.cavalierhealth.org
    http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/faq.htm
    www.cavaliercampaign.com
    www.cavaliermatters.org
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lily - newly diagnosed

Hello all, while this is an old thread, it is very helpful to me. Lily was diagnosed last week with severe SM. We are now trying out and implementing as much as we can to make her as comfortable as possible.

Along that line, I have made her her own custom designed walking harness. It looks like this one (http://www.bottomsupleash.com/) which I found after the fact and which she wears around her front legs. I made it out of an old jersey knit belt, a large keyring, and a clip. It stays on as loose versions of other harnesses have not, has no neck collar or chest strap, and she doesn't scratch at all on her walks! It was completely easy to make and it is my contribution to things we can do to help our beloved family members.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tip for giving meds to your dog while at work or during the middle of the night

My 6 year old, Jeszel, gets pills/capsules 6 times per day. I use a timed cat feeder that is set to open when I'm not at home or alseep. I wrap the pills/capsules with Greenies pill pockets and place them in the feeder and set the timer. Jeszel likes the taste of the pill pockets so she grabs the meds out of the feeder right away and has never left a pill behind. Jeszel actually found the timed feeder fun and keeps an eye on it... she makes sure to sleep near it in my bedroom so that she does not miss it opening at 3am. If you dont have another dog around that could grab the meds instead, this is a handy method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Tips for Living with SM for you and your Cavalier

1) Enjoy the good days. I learned that I was really scared of what would come and the unknown future that I missed out on a couple of months. However those months were when she was recovering from decompression surgery. It is tough when there are bad days and set backs but try and stay stong even though it can be tough. I know it was for me.

2) Support groups. These have helped me a lot.

3) Medication may need to be adjusted but finding the right mixture and if some works it is worth it.

4) Accupuncture- This helped Ella but I was told Prednisone does not work with accupuncture.

5) water bottles- When Ella had a hard time drinking she would drink from a water bottle used for cages.

6) watch for too much activity. Some days Ella is playful and is fine, but others I notice she isn't feeling good so I am just aware of her needs.

7) Give them all the love in the world and even though it may not be enough to heal them, they will know.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

What a thoughtful post Anna.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default tips for living with SM

I think this tip has been discussed before in other threads, but I didn't see it in this thread:

Some cavaliers who have SM seem to have pain build-up around when they have to go potty. I have seen it happen with Geordie, and also with Charlie in the past.

If your cavalier is exhibiting signs of discomfort and it isn't time for his/her next dose of pain med, try taking him/her outside to go potty and reward them for eliminating. I've found the reward works to help them 'want' to go, and they should feel some relief afterwards.

Usually when I see Geordie start to scratch himself or 'dig' in his bed, I take him outside and he potties with a little encouragement. He seems to feel so much better afterwards!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

These are great tips. Thank you for posting these.