Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: tips for living with SM

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Iīve a 3 year old bitch with SM (MRI-scanned). She is having garbaphentin 3 times a day. We found out that itīs important, that she gets it every about 8 hours. Because of the limited possibilities to get the right dose (3* 100 mg/day) - the pills in Denmark is only comming in 600 mg/pill, she is having 1/4 pill 3*/day (= 150 mg *3/day. She is also given a small dose of Furix every morning. She is a happy dog, and seems to have no sideeffects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hot Weather Warning

I thought it a good idea to mention that the building high temperatures/humidity forecast to start coming in today might well affect our SM/CM symptomatic dogs. Rebel has already showed signs of distress so I am increasing his medications all round and turning on the fans everywhere in the house. The patio doors to the garden are constantly open until I go to bed and there is a fan on max. beside his bedtime crate so that he is constantly in a swathe of cooler air.

Anyone in any doubt about the maximum dose of prescribed drugs should speak to their vet or neurologist for recommendations.

For what it's worth, I think any kind of stress is likely to trigger my boy's acute symptoms.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, I wondered if there was any particular harness that you could recommend for dogs with sm?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Adding to Flo's timely warning, besides heat and humidity it definitely pays to keep an eye on air pressure. Many CM/SM dogs are affected by rapid changes in air pressure, either up or down. The average is 1010, so if you see a rise to say 1020 or more or a drop to 1090 coming, it can help to give extra medication at the beginning of the day. You can get an app to check pressure, or I use the BBC weather website. In Coventry, 30 miles down the road from Flo, the forecast heatwave seems to have disappeared - temperatures of 17 to 20 degrees and cloud for the next 5 days and pressure not more than 1018, so fairly manageable. As well as Flo's suggestions for keeping your dog cool and comfortable, it helps to keep curtains closed as soon as the sun starts coming into rooms.

Aly, a lot of people like the Puppia harnesses; mine wear Easy Walk, where the lead clips on at the chest - very good for stopping pulling, serviceable nylon webbing so not as elegant as Puppias, but then my boys don't do pretty! Both of these types you can google to see what they look like.

Kate, Oliver and Aled