Last weekend my cavaliers really freaked me out - two times.
First, our neighbor came to the front door with a beautiful bouquet of freshly cut peonies. Geordie was barking and acting up, so I picked him up before I opened the door. I guess in the confusion I forgot to tell India and Chocolate to stay; with India I have to use a hand signal since she has hearing loss.
I opened the door to reach for the flowers and thank Steve, and India ran out, followed by Chocolate. They have never done this before! I quickly put Geordie in the bedroom and closed the door, grabbed our highest quality treats (venison jerky), and ran after my girls. India could not hear me, so I caught up to her first and gave her a treat, then Chocolate came to me to get hers. Both girls followed me home and got more treats when they were safely inside the house again.
Later the same day, I was vacuuming the carpeting, and I came across one metal piece of a paper binding clip. These are made of 3 pieces of metal, and I only found one of them. Normally we are very careful about keeping things like this off the floor because all three dogs would find it an interesting chew. I imagined that one of the dogs had chewed it and swallowed the metal; I imagined the very worst - broken teeth and perforated intestines - I was worried sick waiting for Colin to come home so I could tell him we're taking all three dogs in to get x-rayed today! Colin came home later, and I showed him what I found. He said, "Oh yeah, I found the other two pieces yesterday - Geordie must have taken it off the table he can reach and chewed it." Whew!