• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bonnie

Cream cheese, Laughing Cow cheese, peanut butter, meat paste -- those often work. Usually frusemide is a tiny pill and pretty easy for an animal to swallow.

I found the best way to give pills was to have the pill wrapped in some cheese/ meat etc and also have another piece in my other hand so that she could see it. She gobbled down the first piece (with the pill) in order to get the second piece :p

Hope the Frusemide gives Bonnie a new lease of life.

I'd also maybe try crushing the tablet a bit so there's nothing specific to spit out, if the cheese doesn't work.

The frusemide may well give her quite a bit of time yet as it sounds like the coughing is mostly due to the excess water and that should clear it up.

Thanks everyone, the cheese spread works brill ,she didnt know it was there and just gobbled it down. Got the tab in her before but sometimes could take for ever.

Bonnies cough has nearly stopped altogether now the prob she has now is that the meds has made her incontinent(sp). The poor thing even pees while she is asleep which seems to upset her. Also yesterday eve while she was asleep on my young lads knee she suddenly jumped up in a state the poor thing had peed while sitting on his knee. I think Bonnie was more shocked than my son.

:rah: I'm delighted the new meds are working for Bonnie. Sorry to hear about the incontinence though. I wonder if it is just a short term thing because of the dieuretics?? I certainly hope so.

It takes them a while to adjust to frusemide. In general take them out several times after they've had the pill, for the first 90 minutes. Definitely get them out 30 minutes after the pill. Never give the pill less than several hours before bedtime so that again, you can take them out and their bladder is very empty overnight. I'd also only give it when you will be around for the next 90 minutes or so.

Leo was on frusemide for SM and it took him a week or two to realise he had a very full bladder right after. Sometimes he'd wet himself at night too. Leo could eventually last about 60 minutes before he had to go out but I wouldn't wait that long with an elderly dog and would get her out several times. She may not learn to go out on her own as they don;t expect to suddenly get such a full bladder. Frusemide is a diuretic -- like drinking a few cups of coffee for us. That is why it gets rid of the fluid that causes the cough. You just need to plan around the fact that she is going to need to go out a few times in that first 60-90 minutes after the pill.

Monty's on 40mg of Frusemide and doesn't seem to wee any more than usual, but being a boy, he's used to marking all round the garden boundary. He has his second half in his dinner, so i always make sure he goes ot as soon as he finishes.

I'm using the remnants of a tub of primula cheeese for Monty's and teddy's meds, at the moment. I hate it because it's messy and monty finds it sticks to the roof of his mouth. They ,and I, much prefer pate.

Bringing bonnie out every 30 mins for the first 2 hrs and then as much as i think she needs to go. Its just sometimes when she is asleep she is going which isnt like her. Im giving her the tablet which is 20 mg in the morning about 9 am.
I really dont mind as i think its a small price to pay. Im sure she will get used to the sensation of a full bladder and if she doesnt so what, its just she looks so suprised and shocked when she goes.
any tips for freshing her up when she has accidents as she can get a bit smelly and i dont want to keep bathing her,

Bonnies cough has nearly stopped altogether now the prob she has now is that the meds has made her incontinent(sp). The poor thing even pees while she is asleep which seems to upset her. Also yesterday eve while she was asleep on my young lads knee she suddenly jumped up in a state the poor thing had peed while sitting on his knee. I think Bonnie was more shocked than my son.
That's wonderful her cough is going away. :flwr: She may have a bladder infection. If she seems uncomfortable, I would take a urine specimen in to the vet. My vet says that being on Lasix can make their urine so dilute that they become susceptible to infection. (I just found out this evening that Geordie has a bladder infection after being on Lasix for only 5 days. Now he's taking an antibiotic.)

You can rinse her legs with some warm water; you don't need to bathe her each time. Also -- it is common for them to go while sleeping like this, but it will probably settle down. After the first week or so it became very rare for Leo to go but it still sometimes happened.

Back