Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mastocytoma

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mastocytoma

Hi There,

I am new to posting here. I have two boys aged two years, Ben and Jessie. One has recently been diagnosed with a mastocytoma, which has developed on his occipital bone just to the side of his eye.

He has undergone tests and I am waiting for further results of pathology results following his second lot of fine needle aspiration. It seems that it is not really opearable and it will become very painful.

Has anyone come across this before? Is it unusual in a dog so young?

Any comments welcome.

Bit up in the air with this.

Thanks,
    Last edited by billy; 19th June 2008 at 08:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

That does seem very young for such a diagnosis. Apparently this is the most common cancer in dogs and there's more information here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/mast-ce...ogs/page1.aspx

Have you been in contact with his breeder? I am sure they'd want to know about this and probably discuss the implications, if any, for their breeding programme with the vet as well as give you support.

You might consider a second opinion. One of the board moderators, Cathy T, had an inoperable cancer diagnosis in one dog's jaw but found a surgeon with a different perspective, who was able to remove the tumour and her dog is doing very well. I am sure she will post if she sees your post.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mastocytoma

Hi Karlin,

Thank you for your reply.

My vet did all the tests and the pathologist confirmed his suspicions but needed further investigation to be conclusive.

I was then referred to UCD Vet Hospital and they have done further tests, x-rays and the aspiration tests and the pathology results are due Friday, but all does not look good.

I did not think of contacting the breeder, but following your advice I have emailed them.

I have read so much on this in the last few days but I suppose I really need a grading on it to be able to understand it further.

Thanks again for your advice. I keep all informed by progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

UCD in Dublin or UCD in California?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, UCD in Dublin.

Post Thanks / Like

My then two-year-old male was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in his mouth. Everyone I talked to, including an oncologist, said "so sorry" and gave us a 6 month expectancy after radiation and/or chemotherapy. I had a wonderful surgeon who had performed patella surgery on my one-year-old female just 3 weeks prior. Her immediate suggestion was to remove Jake's upper left jawbone. He has one tooth in the back of his mouth and his one tooth at the front. They removed the bone up to his nasal cavity. From the outside....you'd never know he's missing his jawbone. They took even tissue and bone to get very clean margins...and we are 3 1/2 years later still cancer free.

It was considered fairly radical surgery.....I consider it life-saving surgery. Don't give up. Even if the bone and eye have to be removed. The important thing so to get some options.

I'm so sorry this has happened in such a young pup. Please keep us posted on how the pathology reports read.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cathy,

We will fight on, hes so young and not a bother on him, its strange.

I get the opinions and see what the options are.

I keep you updated,

Thank you,

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about that awful diagnosis. But, as Cathy T has testified, fight on....They can do so much today that wasn't possible even a few years ago. Hopefully they will be able to treat this cancer and it will go into remission so you can have many more years with your precious pup. Please keep updates coming and the prayers will be going up as you progress in your treatments.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a dermatologist! and in humans mastocytoma are benign collections of mast cells under the skin and not serious, don't know about in animals but assume they are similar. I don't believe this will be a serious problem but you need to avoid sudden changes in temperature which can cause mast cell degranulation, i.e. jumping inot a cold pond/pool from the warm. most of the children I see with these need no treatment and they resolve spontanouesly