• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Geordie's MVD Progressing

Cathy Moon

This morning we woke up to the sound of Geordie coughing. He continued to cough on and off while I got ready for work, so Colin made a vet appointment and took him in. Initially the vet thought Geordie might have irritation in his trachea, so Geordie was given a medication to help with that.

It didn't work, and Geordie was coughing when I came home. So we took him back to the vet. Geordie was x-rayed, and she found he has a small amount of fluid around his heart and his heart is slightly enlarged. The vet said he is in early congestive heart failure. Now Geordie is taking Enalapril (an ACE inhibitor) daily from now on. He's also taking Lasix for 10 days to clear the fluids around his heart.

We're hoping he feels better soon. He's just not himself today. Does anyone know how soon the Enalapril should start working? That's the one thing I forgot to ask our vet.

Oh Cathy, I am so sorry about little Geordie's failing health. You have been through so much and you are just about the best mom and caregiver ever! I will keep all of you in my daily prayers, and hope the medication does help. :xfngr:

I'm afraid we are in the same position with Monty, but he is twelve and a half. He is on Fortekor (similar to your drug ) and Frusemide for the fluid.

He had a two week trial, initially, and the vet said that his heart rate was down slightly, which is good as it isn't working so hard. He was only coughing, most days, in a morning and only a couple of hacks. However, this morning he's had a couple of extras and has during the last few days. He's due for his three monthly check next week, so we'll see whether it's deterioration or the effects of the uncertain weather (This affected Izzy a lot and his coughing got much worse for a couple of days). Monty's cough, usually after lying for a time, doesn't bother him and isn't , as in Izzy's case brought on by exercise or excitment.

Sorry to hear about Geordie. :flwr: I have no experience with MVD. You and Colin have had a very rough patch with your cavaliers. Hang in there. I hope Georgie starts feeling better soon.

Thanks for your kind words. I thought this would come on gradually, not suddenly, but the vet told us his coughing could be due to his chest being very narrow. She said usually when a dog is coughing like Geordie they would see more fluids around the heart than what he has. So he is in very early heart failure, but doesn't have much room in his chest for heart as it enlarges.

I'm going to take him to the cardiologist to make sure we're doing everything we can. I'm thinking it's time to start giving him CoQ10, etc., but want to get a cardio's blessing first.

He is still not quite himself this morning, but thankfully he has only coughed maybe 2-3 times. He's very sleepy.

Last edited:
People constantly asked why Izzy wasn't on Frusemide or similar, as most heart dogs are prescribed it, but my old and new vets said he didn't need it, as he had virtually no fluid retention. He went on like this for 18 months and only needed the diuretic for his last 6 months.

Monty is the same, but the vet thinks that Fortekor and Frusemide complement eachother, so he has both. he says that Monty's cough is due to his enlarged heart pressing on his throat, when in certain positions for a while.

The heart med is doing its job - Geordie is back to being his spunky, happy, busy little self. We're very relieved! :)

Back