Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stinking Ticks!

Post Thanks / Like

We live in a beach town and don't really have a tick problem here. I am concerned though as we will be traveling later this summer up to mountains and forested areas that are known to have ticks.

I plan on switching from Advantage spot flea treatment to Frontline Plus so Dottie is protected agains fleas and ticks. I will ask the vet next time I am in, but for those of you who live in ticky areas, does this spot treatment prevent the ticks from jumping aboard and attaching, or does it just kill them within so many hours after they bite?

I would think that if the tick does bite then it is really not much of a preventative treatment, as the tick could have already passed on Lyme or other creepy diseases to the dog. Yuck and Double Yuck!
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately treating the yard with something isn't practical, we'd probably have to mortgate the house to buy enough product as we live on acres & forget about just the ground, you'd have to treat the bush & I tell you we have lots of it. Aint going to happen I'm afraid.

I do have a great little gadget for getting the ticks off safely though. It looks like a tiny wrecking bar. You just slid the slit of the bar under the body of the tick, twirl slowly a couple of revolutions & tick, head & jaws come away intact.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought that thing, too! Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet! My luck when I do need it, I won't be able to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraline View Post
    This is more a vent than anything....

..... We Frontline the dogs every fortnight and I do think the ticks were dead, even though they had burrowed in.
    Caraline,
    We live in Maryland which has a lot of ticks, so we use Frontline + on Charlie.
    I've picked off a couple of ticks from him over the years, but it seems to work fine. I believe Frontline is only good for fleas, so you may want to switch over to Frontline + since ticks are the problem in your area.

Post Thanks / Like

Cant offer any advice other than saying Im so glad I dont have that problem and I hope you can find a solution soon. Ticks are awful pesky critters- YUK!!
    Karen and the gang

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs