• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is Royal Canin a good food choice

stacy710

We just switched Maggie (4 months) to Royal Canin due to digestive problems. Is this a good choice or are there better ones?

You'll probably find lots of diametrically opposed answers to that question here! Some people here feed it all the time and apparently their dogs do great on it. Personally, I have looked at the ingredients several times and always put it back on the shelf when I see all the corn gluten, wheat gluten, beet pulp, rice hulls, etc. listed so highly in the ingredients list.

You'll probably find lots of diametrically opposed answers to that question here! Some people here feed it all the time and apparently their dogs do great on it. Personally, I have looked at the ingredients several times and always put it back on the shelf when I see all the corn gluten, wheat gluten, beet pulp, rice hulls, etc. listed so highly in the ingredients list.

im with you on the ingredients, i plan to feed something else to my Chloe. But like you said, others like it here. maybe someone else on here will be able to tell you if its good for doggies with digestive problems. good luck!

I end to approach food debates with a skeptical eye.

Royal Canin is the main food I give mine, alternating with James Wellbeloved (which is not sold in the US). I also feed homecooked and some raw. I don't like relying solely on a processed food whatever the ingredients -- and just read of some research which agrees with this -- stating dogs NEED fresh food 2-3 times a week at least as snacks or an addition to dry -- fresh fruit and veg in particular.

You will find pet food gets people quite worked up; there is an enormous range of opinion on supposed 'good' and 'bad' ingredients. Very few of the arguments about 'bad' ingredients is (yet?) supported by any research I can find -- so personally, I approach dog food rating websites with a large dose of skepticism, not least as most that I have seen are done anonymously by self-appointed experts who do not make clear their expertise or knowledge of nutrition or indeed, bias (who are they? Who do they work for? Where does their knowledge come from? WHY should I trust or believe their analysis?). And of course, there's the fact that people get unbelievably wound up and emotional about what their dog eats -- an animal quite happy to eat poop from numerous species, road carrion, rotted trash, etc etc. :cool: Wild canids are scavengers, they do not eat kelp, berries, parsley, garlic, yoghurt, salmon oil or any of the other highly trendy ingredients in costly 'good' foods. Meanwhile, the owners are buying convenience foods, eating things filled with preservatives and colourings and artifical flavours, and processed foods. And we live about 8 times as long as a dog so all that does far more long term damage to us. :lol:

For my own part, I have had excellent results for both cats and dogs with Royal Canin and many good breeders use it. I've never had a dog or a cat with digestive problems with it and have two 9 year old cats who've had RC all their lives without a single illness and which are in great health. But I am sure many other foods would produce equally good results. I just happen to like RC.

Hence my advice is just go for a good quality (non supermarket) base food that you like, or follow the advice of many nutritional experts and rotate through a couple of foods you like and ideally supplement with some fresh foods occasionally if not daily. It's not like any one food is 'the best' and there are literally dozens to choose from! :) If you are inspired, there are whole cults established around homecooked or raw diets as well. :lol:

Choupinet eats Nutram, natural food with chicken. It comes from Canada. It is not well-known in France. It is delivered at home, which is very easy. My dog loves it and doesn't have digestive problems with it.
Ulysse eats chicken and vegetables.

rubys mom

karlin got it spot on with the food . my rubys on royal canine sd for urinary problems she was having real problems with bladder stones she done great since i put her on this food i think its your own preferance to what you like to feed your pet :jump:

I end to approach food debates with a skeptical eye.

Royal Canin is the main food I give mine, alternating with James Wellbeloved (which is not sold in the US). I also feed homecooked and some raw. I don't like relying solely on a processed food whatever the ingredients -- and just read of some research which agrees with this -- stating dogs NEED fresh food 2-3 times a week at least as snacks or an addition to dry -- fresh fruit and veg in particular.

You will find pet food gets people quite worked up; there is an enormous range of opinion on supposed 'good' and 'bad' ingredients. Very few of the arguments about 'bad' ingredients is (yet?) supported by any research I can find -- so personally, I approach dog food rating websites with a large dose of skepticism, not least as most that I have seen are done anonymously by self-appointed experts who do not make clear their expertise or knowledge of nutrition or indeed, bias (who are they? Who do they work for? Where does their knowledge come from? WHY should I trust or believe their analysis?). And of course, there's the fact that people get unbelievably wound up and emotional about what their dog eats -- an animal quite happy to eat poop from numerous species, road carrion, rotted trash, etc etc. :cool: Wild canids are scavengers, they do not eat kelp, berries, parsley, garlic, yoghurt, salmon oil or any of the other highly trendy ingredients in costly 'good' foods. Meanwhile, the owners are buying convenience foods, eating things filled with preservatives and colourings and artifical flavours, and processed foods. And we live about 8 times as long as a dog so all that does far more long term damage to us. :lol:

For my own part, I have had excellent results for both cats and dogs with Royal Canin and many good breeders use it. I've never had a dog or a cat with digestive problems with it and have two 9 year old cats who've had RC all their lives without a single illness and which are in great health. But I am sure many other foods would produce equally good results. I just happen to like RC.

Hence my advice is just go for a good quality (non supermarket) base food that you like, or follow the advice of many nutritional experts and rotate through a couple of foods you like and ideally supplement with some fresh foods occasionally if not daily. It's not like any one food is 'the best' and there are literally dozens to choose from! :) If you are inspired, there are whole cults established around homecooked or raw diets as well. :lol:

I like your advice Karlin. I feed my two on Royal Canin but nothing else. My mum has her Lhasas on James Well Beloved and she thinks its good so I may start alternating. Also what sorts of raw veggies and fruit do you feed them and how often? Anyone else feeding theirs raw veg and fruit? If so, what and how often. TIA

Back