• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Loss of Appetite???

Mom of Jato

Not sure if I should be concerned or not. Jato is 6 1/2 months old now, and I have him eating twice a day- morning and evening. The weather has been beautiful here, so I have been taking him for walks, and he is sleeping in later in the mornings :rah: till about 9:00am or so. He doesn't want to eat his morning meal since he is doing this. I find it odd, because when he was waking up at 6:30am he was starving and scarfed it all down. What do you think is going on? I thought with all the exercise he would be more hungry, not less.

Some dogs may really only want a single meal. How much are you feeding him? Maybe it is just too much food now. Try cutting the total amount by a fourth or third and then split that meal. If he is clearly off hs food, best to call a vet, but if it is just occasionally skipping a meal, then he probably just needs less food and is being given too much.

Pior to turning 6 months I was feeding him 1/3 cup 3x a day. Now at 6 months I am feeding him 1/2 cup 2x a day. Like I said, he was gobbling it all up before. It is just the past few days that he has been sleeping in, and not wanting to eat until later. I have gone back to giving him 1/3 cup to see if it helps.

That's a lot of food -- and puppies do tend to start eating less around 6 months. I'd try 3/4ths to 2/3rds a cup daily. Unless he is extremely active or especially large, a cup would be a lot of food. None of my adults eat that much, not even Jaspar with his high activity level. I'd try the reduced amount twice a day; or just move him to a single meal. Some dogs just prefer a single meal (Jaspar did so all mine get a single meal in the morning, with a dog biscuit at bedtime). If you feel there are other reasons for his refusing a meal, I'd have a vet check him out.

Thanks for the advice Karlin- I will try the smaller amount of food tomorrow. It's nice to have this forum to go to for help. :)

Back